Home Forums General Karting Discussion New product for kart racers, suggestions appreciated!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Vince Fernandez 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Will
    Participant

Hi there, my name is Will and I’ve been karting for about 10 years now, I’ve done plenty of solo events, have been racing in my university’s karting league since I started my course, and raced in their team in the British Universities Karting Championship for two years.
    I’m currently undetaking my third year studying Product Design at Loughborough university, and as karting has been such an enjoyable hobby of mine for a decade, I thought working on something related to it would make it far easier to maintain effort and passion required to complete it. I will be researching, evaluating, designing, testing and building a fully working prototype of a product, however I’m slightly stuck as to what to work on.
    This is where I’d love for you guys to come in. Most of you are far more experienced that me and have raced hundreds of times and entered countless championships , so if you feel that there is a gap in the market for a certain accesory, product, new piece of a kit, or any improvement that could be made to a less-than-perfect existing product for karters, I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts. I have very little limitations on what I can produce, so it can literally be anything. Feel free to let your mind wander and come up with something that you personally would like to be able to purchase and use every time you set up and/or race.

I look forward to hearing all your ideas, and thanks in advance!

P.S. Apologies if this is considered spam or if it’s in the wrong section of the forum

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Produce a racing go-kart that cost $500.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Robert Fisher
    Participant

As a engineering graduate who used to work at a product development company, and now races Rotax, I’d think that I would have all sorts of ideas, but everything good is already made! I do have a few ideas; I’m not sure if they exist already, or what manufacturing capabilities you have (3D printing? etc), or how much engineering your looking for, but…:

1. Better composite sprockets: They are very light, and help acceleration, but people complain that if you go off, it WILL break. Perhaps use a new composite material/FEA to make a stronger one.

2. Better bodywork. Most body work isn’t well thought-out aero speaking, so maybe optimize the front/side body work for better airflow.

3. Oh, here’s a good one I almost tried making myself: Fuel tank baffles. Prevent unnecessary weight transfer by keeping the fuel from sloshing around.

These might be a bit lame, but maybe I’ll think of some more later. At least mine are better than Walt’s!

William Martin
    Participant

Produce a racing go-kart that cost $500.

Lots of people do that. Then they sell them at 4 to 5 times mark-up… so they can pay for all the fun they have with their racing /marketing programs.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

At least mine are better than Walt’s!

IDK, mines pretty good.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Vince Fernandez
    Participant

Will, something I would pay for and find useful, would be a tool to expand rear hubs. Can’t stand to marr metal by prying and banging. Maybe some sort of slide that works both ways to move hubs. Thanks and good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication