Home Forums General Karting Discussion new karting but want to get son and i started

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Lawson 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

jeromy ruff
    Participant

see im wanting to get into karting ive already got 2 complete karts that are race ready and 2 rolling chassis that need a bit of work but 1 is a 2012 intrepid cruiser m2 which im trying to figure out if its a shifter kart or not or if it can b both but my son is 6 almost 7 and is completely into the karting scene and want to do it more than I do and ive seen where a lot of kids start out racing at his age so I got him a margay racing kart with a methanol engine from someone off cl I know it’ll takes sometime for him to get used to it but it want take him long but what kind of expanses can I expect and can someone tell me what they spend in a year a normal racing year and what are the big things I need to go ahead and start doing I know once he starts hes going to want to do it pro so I want to see what I need to expect in finances thanks for everyone time hope to meet a lot of new people and get the info my son and I are going to need each racing season.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Need your location, age and prior racing experience before we can be any help.

Also try to use paragraphs, periods, and commas once and awhile ;)

jeromy ruff
    Participant

yea sorry my name is Jeromy ruff im 27 and my son is 6yr kaydin ruff we are from Rutherfordton n.c. I have drag race befor at a local track, I have raced rc nitro buggy, and have a few medals from that. I just recently got out of motocross I rode a 06 kx450f and now im wanting to do the kart racing.
    my son says he wants to b a nascar driver so I know this is right up his ally.
    I know about gopro motorplex in Mooresville n.c and im going to probably start there but any advice is going to b greatly appreciated and what I need to expect in expenses thanks

Xander Clements
    Participant

Hey, cool to see some newbies in karting. GoPro Motorplex is an amazing facility.

Unfortunately, the methanol engine, I imagine a methanol Briggs & Stratton Animal, is only in use in select tracks around the northeast and midwest, and is currently being phased out by WKA’s Gold Cup Series by a gasoline version that is meant to be longer-lasting between rebuilds, and more reliable. Either way, neither of the engine versions are currently used at your local track, GoPro Motorplex. Your only option for your son at GoPro will be to run in the Rotax Micromax division, which begins at age 7, so he could practice until he becomes old enough. Also, since you are new to the sport, I recommend buying a chassis brand from a dealer near GoPro, such as KartSport North America, a national team with a shop located at the track. They deal in OTK (FA, a version of TonyKart, Kosmic, and Exprit) and Arrow chassis, and have nearly anything and everything karting-wise that you will need at their on-site shop. While you currently have some chassis of your own, if there is not a dealer near, or someone with the same brand that you have a good relationship with, karting may be a bit tough to start out in. You would have the option to run in Yamaha Senior, TaG Senior, Briggs & Stratton LO206 Senior (a slower engine of the same brand as the methanol engine you purchased), or Rotax Senior.

Budget-wise, it can vary due to the amount of races you want to do, etc. Let me first begin by wanting to go all the way to the pros will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even a million or two. In Karting, most teams charge anywhere from $400-$1500 per weekend to be underneath their “tent”, with assistance, coaching, setup advice, and any parts that need to be purchased and installed available on their haulers. If you go with a mechanic/tuner, they can cost anywhere from $600-$1500 per weekend, depending on who you go with. Top drivers will get both a tuner and a team for each national weekend, which can total up, and we haven’t even gotten to the race yet.

A brand new kart chassis, (all but motor mount and motor package), will run for $4600-$4900 new, and your engine packages can range from $1000-$3500, depending on which engine class you race in, and if you get it new or used. You will also want to make sure that the engine builder you choose to buy an engine from attends all of the national events that you want to race at, so you can get their support if something is a miss with your motor.

Outside of trackside support, you have numerous other expenses for a national weekend. First you have your sets of new tires, which depending on which event you go to, can be as many as four new sets for one class, or as little as one new set for racedays for one class. One new set of tires will go for roughly $225, and one set of wheels for anywhere from $180-$250. You won’t need to get a new set of wheels for every set of tires, but you need a couple sets of wheels to change out tires on and have a set to have rains mounted on. Entry fees are usually $250-$400 depending on the series, and then your hotel bills will usually be for three to five nights each, ranging from as low as $200 to as high as $500 for the amount of days, depending on the class of hotel.

Overall, you’ll be spending a lot to run national events in karting, along with test days to stay fresh in between. Top drivers spend between $30,000 and $90,000 each year, with some spending more than six digits to attend as many national events as possible.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

^ Well said and pretty dang close if you are going to get your kid to move up any motorsports ladder.

Or you can find a small club and race to have fun for about $100 on an old kart, used tires learning on your own.

Racing is hard and is as much fun as you make it.

Enjoy it and have fun

Xander Clements
    Participant

What Matt said. Running at your local track is a fun experience no matter what, and nowhere near the cost. Everyone at a club is usually friendly and willing to lend a hand, so as many karts can be out on the track as possible, enjoying the action. GoPro Motorplex has a race this Sunday, so you should come down and check it out. I’ll be there in the #36 Arrow X3 in Yamaha Junior.

Gary Lawson
    Participant

I would give kartsport a call and either talk to Brandon or Eric Jones. I would recommend you first just get the margay you have with the methanol engine and run that for a few practice days if your son is able to fit in the kart. Try to get with someone that can at least go over the kart and have it assembled properly with the correct size seat etc. If the margay kart is not the sportsman/cadet model then he will have difficulty reaching the pedals without major modification. You will also want to be CERTAIN their is a very small restrictor in the motor if their is not one already installed. I would also not give the kart more than half throttle even with the plate for his first session and make sure he is on track by himself the first time. Safety should be the main concern to start with. Also need to make sure the throttle returns easily and the brakes work well. At 7 years old it actually would be more appropriate to try a “kid kart” which is a 50cc comer engine scaled down significantly for young/small drivers.

Don’t be scared by what some spend on budgets at national events. That is not exactly the norm and at the local level many spend less than a few thousand for the entire year once they have their equipment. Post any questions or message me and I will be happy to help. The LO206 engine is the way to go for both beginning drivers and someone on a budget. Basically a brand new race ready engine package for 750 that you can run all season with little to no maintenance. Just change oil once a day and keep pump gas filled up. It’s the fastest growing class at Mooresville from what I understand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.