Home Forums Chassis & Handling Need handling advice

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel White 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Mike Bruce
    Participant

I have a 2006 Arrow AX9 that is loose under acceleration. Current setup is:

42% Front

51% Right

20 mm spacers behind each front hub

Side pods tight

Rear bumper tight

Third bearing tight

Medium Axel hubs at max width.

Stiff seat with 1 additional strut on each side

Caster maxed out

2mm toe out on each side

Rotax running senior class at 375#

Front tire weights are the same, right rear is about 6-7 pounds heavier than left rear.

Started out with short rear hubs, changed to longer hubs and some of the looseness went away but not all.

Should I try a hard axel ? Any suggestions appreciated !!

Patrick Roth
    Participant

My two cents…  start by reducing the overall rear width and then proceed to take caster out.  Its been a number of years since I ran TaG but I never tightened the third bearing and/or had the rear bumper tight (this doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea, but for your reference it is not something I ever used on the karts that I owned).

Steen Carstensen
    Participant

Arrow Kart has one of the best set up manuals of any kart I have come across.

http://www.wrkc.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Arrow_Setup_Guide.pdf

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Arrow Kart has one of the best set up manuals of any kart I have come across. http://www.wrkc.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Arrow_Setup_Guide.pdf

I have the manual and have tried the suggested fixes, but still have this issue.

Mike Bruce
    Participant

My two cents… start by reducing the overall rear width and then proceed to take caster out. Its been a number of years since I ran TaG but I never tightened the third bearing and/or had the rear bumper tight (this doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea, but for your reference it is not something I ever used on the karts that I owned).

I will look into these suggestions.

Thanks for the replies so far.

FREDDY SANDOVAL
    Participant

Loosen up side pods, rear bumper, if you have rear torsion bar remove it, remove one seat strut, and go higher on tire pressure. Leave the caster at max.

Where is your seat at from axle to lip?

Where is your front and rear track at?

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Loosen up side pods, rear bumper, if you have rear torsion bar remove it, remove one seat strut, and go higher on tire pressure. Leave the caster at max. Where is your seat at from axle to lip? Where is your front and rear track at?

Freddy,

Tightening the side pods made it better to get it to where it is now. No rear torsion bar, seat is at Arrow recommended setting. I don’t remember the exact measurement. Rear is at 55″ outside to outside of rears tires. Front track is at 44″ outside to outside.

Which side should I remove a strut from ? Left or right ?

Mike

Gary Lawson
    Participant

I respectfully disagree with most of what Freddy recommended. Tightening the pods and bumper add grip and so do struts. A stiffer axle could help as well. 55 is pretty wide in the rear for that kart. I’d narrow 10mm per side. Reducing caster could certainly help the balance as well.

Mojo tires?

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Gary, they are Hoosier MMX-A tires.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

I agree with Gary. Narrowing the rear will help the outside tire dig harder. Also your caster might be putting too much weight jacking through the outside tire and overloading it, causing it to break free.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Mike Bruce
    Participant

Thanks for all of the answers.

Daniel White
    Participant

I used to own that very chassis. I bought a new AX-9 at a nice discount  because the X-1 had been in the market for a couple of years. It was better than my Sodikart SR-5 (all-32 chassis but without the narrow waist, had an archaic frame design, and was very stiff), but I struggled to match the pace of the drivers who had a 30mm chassis for the newly-spec D2 tire. I wish I had known that before I bought it.

Your AX-9 is all-32mm kart, and as such is stiff and produces a lot of grip. It was very good for a hard tire like the D1.

The X-1 that replaced the AX-9 is an all 30mm kart, developed because Mojo introduced the D2 tire, which was grippier.

My point in telling you this is to suggest that tightening a kart that already produces a great deal of grip is going to make the kart less flexible–perhaps unflexible–hence the sliding. I’m assuming, of course, that the kart isn’t worn out from years of use.

To me, everything you’ve done to the kart is making a stiff kart even more stiff.

Having said all that, T.J. is a lot smarter than me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication