Home Forums Road Racing NCK & Southwest Superlates at Willow Springs !

This topic contains 23 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jim White 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Dean Martin
    Participant

April 19 Saturday, NCK is presenting a joint event with Soutwest Superlates. http://www.swsracing.com/ & http://nckroadracing.com  supported by Formula Pacific.

2 x 30 min practice sessions, seperate qualifying session and two 30 min races for a 45 kart maximum grid.

Surley its time for the SoCal, AZ and NV factions to align around a sustainable shared event format that can be succesfully built upon each year. Big Grids and big fun.

NCK is also commted to two additional dates June 21 Saturday, Sept 20 Saturday with the same share/format so lets make this work.

Benn Herr
    Participant

I hope more of these kinds of events can work out.

They will take some getting used to. Fitting the usual class structure into the schedule will probably need some adjustments but nothing that can’t be figured out.

Harder to do may be getting the event officials used to how karters operate. Most car groups are used to having the cars all lined up with the drivers belted in and the engine idling. When the track is ready the wave the cars out. Karts are the opposite. When the track is ready, you start up and go – no waiting around! The car guys we run with are used to it now and give us an estimate to when the track will be ready. We usually start up at a two minute warning.

They also may be concerned on how close the karts run to each other. Corvette and Porsche guys don’t draft like we do! It will probably help that the group you’re with is a racing organization, they’ll be more understanding.

The karters will need to make some adjustments too. Groups like these run to a schedule. When you slot comes up, it’s time to go. If you’ve run at some of the Laguna Seca events with the professional run series you know what it’s like.

One thing you might look at is timing every session (if their scoring people can do it). That way, if somebody can’t make the Qual session you still have a representative time for their grid spot. We just take their best lap time from any of the three Practice/Qualifying sessions and use it for our lineup. The scoring software does it automatically.

Like I said, I hope this will work out, long track karting is what I love.

P.S. I never considered us to be a “faction” – it sounds so evil!

Dean Martin
    Participant

Not much commentary on here supporting the 3 WSR events. Wonder why the avoidance??

Anyway our NCK membership is up in SoCal and surrounding states so the WSR additional dates are working.  Looks like we will have a healthy turn out with local and travelling attendees.

We are looking forward to a great day of racing Saturday April 19th with the chance also to practice Friday 18th  if there is sufficient interest to segment the Car open practice day to include Karts.

Im looking into either a Friday night camping subject to interest and we might be able to convince WSR to open the bar/restaurant with sufficient interest or we BBQ and BYOB.  

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Dean, I’ll be there! Also my grand daughter will run her first Tag Road Race!

Mark Morrison
    Participant

Now that we about 4 weeks away REGISTRATION will open on April 1. entry is going to cost $150.00 for NCK members and $170.00 for non-members. We will be condensing the classes as we limited to 45 karts on track. So if your going post a response and like Dean said lets have a tailgate party on Friday night

Mark Morrison, president NCK

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

$150 is a great entry fee for all you can race.  I am looking forward to the party!

Bret Moreland
    Participant

I am in for all three of the Big Willow races with my TAG.  Plan on making most of the NCK schedule this year, only the Thunderhill dates are a maybe for me.  Can’t wait to go back to Laguna.

Bill Cox
    Participant

I plan to be at Big Willow for the April 19th event.  Driving up from San Diego on Friday.  I hope to drop my trailer at the track…stay for any tailgating…but I’ll be camping at the Holiday Inn Express in Lancaster…11-miles to the south :)

Mark Morrison
    Participant

Registration is now open. No juniors will be allowed at this event must 16 years of age or older for more info go to nckroadracing.com

Mark Morrison President,NCK

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

2 weeks to go before we are racing in the sunshine and checking out those Superlates!  Let’s have dinner together friday night so I can tell everybody how fast I was :)

Bill Cox
    Participant

How about dinner at the Rosamond Airport Mexican Restaurant?

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

Yes that’s the place!

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

Gate opens- 7:00 am
    Drivers Meeting- 7:30 am
    1st Practice- 8-9:00 am

2nd Practice- 10-10:30am
    Qualifying Group 1&2- 11:30-12:00 pm

Main Group 1- 1:00-1:20 pm

Main group 2- 4:30-4:50 pm

Jim White
    Participant

You been drinkin’ Larry????

Really though, cut and paste doesn’t seem to work with the outstanding “new” technology of this forum. At some point it was explained how to do it. Personally I just don’t even bother anymore.

Jim White
    Participant

Friday practice will be available. It will be run by the track.

Costs are $75 to join Willow Springs membership (fee good for all year), $75 per kart and $75 per driver. First time total $225. I believe it will rotate in 20 or 30 minute sessions. Should be more than enough track time available.

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

Registration ends at midnight Tuesday with no at track registration.

Larry Dobbs
    Participant

All info for racing found here:

http://www.nckroadracing.com

Joe Street
    Participant

Trailer video for Willow Springs this weekend.

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Thanks to Mark and crew with NCK for the event at Willow Springs, plenty of track time at a lesser cost! NCK is doing a great job of keeping road racing going on the far left coast!

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

DITTO!!

Dean
    Participant

Great event, thanks to NCK and Willow Springs and SWS, for allowing us on the track at such a cheap price.  I like the schedule that was used, had time to make sure everything was right on the kart and still had time to talk to friends and not feel rushed!  Great job everyone!

Jim White
    Participant

Things went very well. Looking forward to our next two dates with this group.:-)

Bill Cox
    Participant

Well done NCK!  What a courageous decision to try this joint event with the big cars…and you made it work very smoothly.

Having us pit together in the West Paddock was insightful!  Being close together for information flow…encouragement…assistance…and having the grid/scales right there, too, was excellent!  I was dreading pushing the kart on the stand to/from the track entry.

Everyone played nice…it can be done!  The fast drivers made it by me safely and I was able to get by the few slower karts that I passed without running any off the track, too.

The only change you may want to think about: Maybe the 3rd practice can be split into fast karts (superkarts and shifters); slower karts; each gets 1/2 the session time.  I only got one clean fast lap in the 3rd practice session before catching slower karts.  Just my opinion.

No complaints about the day!  Well…except maybe that wind…

Jim White
    Participant

Thanks Bill.

Regarding the 3rd session: we called it qualifying but you may not have heard that we instead took each persons fastest time from any session and used that to set the grid.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.