Home Forums Tech Talk Mychron 4 vs Mychron 4 2t

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Lafakis 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

John Lafakis
    Participant

Is the 2t really worth the extra cost or will the standard Mychron be fine to use?  I’ll be using it on a stock moto shifter.  If I was to get the 2t what temps should I get, water temp and exhaust temp?

Thanks

tony zambos
    Participant

John,
    What you want from the gauge is going to determine which one to buy. If you can get by with just one temp, the M4 will suit you. You could get the M4 with two sensors; an EGT and a water temp. Use the EGT during practice to monitor the carb settings and use the water temp during the race. Just having one temp seems questionable. I prefer having two. Maybe some shifter guys will help out and post their gauge configurations.
    How do you plan to analyze the data from each of your track sessions? Reading it off the gauge is useful, but you would be missing out on the ability to study the data at a later time with Race Studio. That option comes with a price as the only method I’m aware of is with a Data Key.
    Neither gauge will get you the ability to create a track map in Race Studio. It’s a nice feature and you can live without it. With addition of an E-Box will add to temp inputs, a wheel speed sensor and an accelerometer. An E-Box with an M4 will give you three temp inputs, wheel speed, a lap timer and the ability to create a track map within Race Studio. The E-Box comes with a Data Key.
    Another option would be an M4-2t with a GPS unit. This will give you two temp inputs with the gauge and from the GPS you get another lap timer, lateral G-forces and the ability to track map. Now you can generate a map of each lap run and that can be compared with your lap times.
    There two AIM web sites. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/index_kart.htm#mychron4-2t is the site that has sample gauge and equipment configurations. The other is http://www.aimsports.com/products/mychron4/index.html

As always, talk to you local kart shop and AIM has a great support staff to help you out.

John Lafakis
    Participant

Thanks for the input, I don’t really have any way of analyzing the data after a session as I’m going to be casually running the kart for now until I get the hang of it.  I never thought of using the GPS unit but I’m surely looking into that now.  If I was to buy another temp sensor and switch them back and forth I might as well go with the 2t since the prices will be close after I buy a regular mychron and a second temp sensor.  It’s just a large investment and I know the features are nice, however I just wanted to make sure all these features were really nessasary.

I noticed that there is a temp sensor that mounts on the spark plug, is this better to use or should I just stick with water temp and EGT for stock moto?  My #1 concern right now is making sure the engine doesn’t melt; the guy I got the kart from melted the piston and I just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again after spending money on a lot of new parts.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

John,

GPS is awesome but only if you know how to use the data.

Use the water temp forsure on you Stockmoto.

I loved the EGT with a tuneable carb but becareful with the egt in a stockmoto pipe they are prone to crack…

tony zambos
    Participant

John,
    A CHT, cylinder head temperature, sensor has to read the temp as it migrates through the head. That’s going to take time you don’t have to spare when the engine starts to overheat. The EGT is going to give a much faster readout. With the EGT, you’ll have the ability to detect detonation and prevent having to stick another piston in. Check the Classic EKN form for ways to tune with EGT. Check the current site for people selling their Mychrons.
    The Mychrons have the ability to set two alarm lights. With the 2t, set one to a max EGT and the other to the max water temp. If you don’t have a pc now that you can take to the track, you at least have a pc at home. Race Studio software is free. It’s a way to store engine data. Just as track notes, use them to help yourself to run faster.
    For casually running now, jet the carb to the fat side, so the engine is safe and you can enjoy the track.

John Lafakis
    Participant

Ok awesome help guys, I’ll just get the 2t (hopefully I can find someone selling one cheap on here) and just run the EGT and water temps.  I have the phone tunning app from the AppStore and I have read that it’s a pretty good baseline for tuning.  I’ll stay on the safe side so I can at least enjoy the thing for now without running into any major headaches.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.