Home Forums Tech Talk Mychron 3 vs Mychron 4 vs Alfano

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Dan Brown
    Participant

Looking for opinions on what data system to purchase. We race 2 cycle sprint karts at the club level, but are planning on having my 13 year old make his national debut later this season, and race full time in one of the national series next year. What are the benefits of a Mychron 4 over a Mychron 3? Looking for real world useful benefits, as some times when a new improved model of a device comes out, it has a lot of “fluff” added but not a lot of useful upgrades. Mychron 3’s are much cheaper and readily available about anyplace, and Alfano’s seem to be becoming more popular as well. I know we need CHT, RPM and Lap times, but what other features do you guys feel are a ” must have” or seem to have the most potential?  Thanks.

Dan

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you can down load at the track you can make good use of the mychron 3. If not the mychron 4 is much better because you can read rpm vs time charts right on the gauge. With the 3 you have to watch rpm in real time and it’s somewhat harder to pick out your clutch stall ect. Don’t know anything about alfalfa. EGT is much more responsive and useful than CHT.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Gary Lawson
    Participant

For someone that knows how to use it with the software the mychron 4 with gps is very useful to pinpoint areas that need improvement.

Jay Sinon
    Participant

I agree with Gary, I use the Mychron 4 with the GPS option and love it! The GPS helps pinpoint problem areas that you’re having on the track. The Race studio program that you download onto your laptop is phenomenal IMO. the GPS works well for 2 reasons I think, 1) the lap timing device at our track seems to be hit or miss whether its working/counting laps so we didn’t always get our information correctly and with the GPS option you don’t have to relies on the tracks components to make the system work. 2) When you overlay lap over lap on top of each other it gives you the ability to show your 13 year how consisted he is in each and ever turn and by seeing this you both can figure out together the fastest way around the track.

I also agree with Walt EGT is way more useful as a tuning tool then CHT.

Good Luck!

TaG Sr.

Dan Brown
    Participant

Thanks guys, I agree the GPS option does make sense.

Jay Sinon
    Participant

One other thing I like about the GPS option is that it gives you lateral acceleration and G-Force this helps me determine when my 15 year old actually got on and off the gas and brake without anything else attached to the kart. They will tell you I put on the brakes here but you can show them no you let off the gas there and applied the brakes here. Its a great learning tool!

TaG Sr.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Jay, if you want GPS and can wait a bit, the Mychron 5 is supposed to be coming out soon, with a built-in GPS feature, rather than being an add-on as it is with the Mychron 4.  Just another option for you to consider.  I don’t know what the pricing will be, but my guess is it will be similar to buying the 4 and adding the GPS to it.

Matt Dixon
    Participant

^^^I think you meant to say Lon G’s for brake/excel

Working with young kids GPS is a must. It will show you grip levels, braking points, coasting and when they get to the throttle.

RaceStudio is a very powerful program most only use less then 10% of it.

94y

Dan Brown
    Participant

I have never used GPS for kart racing and am not familiar with Race Studio. I will take some time and check it out, sounds extremely useful . Thanks.

Dan

tony zambos
    Participant

Another vote for the M4 with a GPS module. The M4-2t will get you two temp sensors and that’s probably all you’ll ever need. Or a basic M4 and add an expansion box in the future for three extra temp sensor ports.
    Here’s a link to AIM videos. Ignore the Race Studio 3 stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

John Mulvihill
    Participant

Always go for a 2T.    Being able to see exhaust AND cylinder head temp in an air cooled motor is the way to go.  Or exhaust and water temp………..

AIM actually has people at major races to help out competitors.  Never saw anyone from Alfalfa.  Replacement sensors are easily available from almost every kart shop/dealer or can be borrowed from others.

Racestudio software can do a lot.

When you go to sell, a 2T will have a better chance to sell.

John

Jay Sinon
    Participant

The guys at AIM (makers of the Mychron and the Race Studio software) are great! As John said they’re at all major races making sure everything is working correctly. I personally have asked them about several issues I didn’t understand and they were very helpful. There customer service is outstanding! I have had pieces break so I emailed them and they got right back to me, I shipped it to them in VA and they had it fixed No Charge by the end of the same week! They seem to be at GoPro Motorplex like once a year for a couple hour course on how to you use there Mychron 4 with their Race Studio 2 software and its well worth the time and money! If they come to a local track near you I would highly suggest the class.

TaG Sr.

tony zambos
    Participant

+1 on Jay’s comment. Their customer service is great and if you have the opportunity to attend one of their seminars, go.

LAD Specialties customer / tony kart / rotax / kt100

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.