Home Forums Shifter Karts My first kart: TrackMagic 125

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Henderson 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Robert Henderson
    Participant

Hey guys,

I just got my first kart and I wanted to share with you guys and hopefully pic your brains and do some learning along the way. The kart is a Track Magic 125cc with a Honda cr125 with a 5spd. It appears to be in great shape aside from one or two small things and I got (I think) an amazing deal on it.

I took it to Andersen race park the day after I got it to test it out and had some issues. It got harder and harder to start as the day went by, it was raining on the track and I was hitting some puddles. I thought it was the water on track causing the problems and it was bogging pretty bad on track and sometimes wouldn’t go over 7k rpms.  At one point I got it running in the pits and noticed rusty water leaking from the bottom of the motor. Soon after I couldn’t get it to start at all.

Fast forward to yesterday I took the Keihin carb apart and cleaned it thinking that might help. After putting everything back together, changing the spark plug and turning the motor over with a power drill and this starter socket thing I got with the cart, rusty water was still dripping out of the bottom and it wouldn’t start at all.

Tonight I started taking the motor apart to see what I could find as a cause. This is what I found.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byoko47DFPeOOURqQzYyZnVabTg

So needless to say I need a water pump and a new cover. I’m hoping once that is replaced it should start but I’m curious to hear opinions.

And heres the kart

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byoko47DFPeOcjA3REZGcHBCcUE

Matt Martin
    Participant

The water pump should have no relation to the engine just starting and running.

However, rusty water could lead to a plugged cooling system.  This can cause overheating.  If it overheated and, it could easily damage the cylinder walls and piston. Pull the top end apart and look through it.

How do the reeds look?

Is your fuel line pliable and soft?  is you fuel pick-up cracked or damaged?

Is the block well sealed?

What was the highest water temp you saw on track?

Robert Henderson
    Participant

i didn’t see temps too high on track but I was only able to run a lap or two at a time due to the rain.

Heres a quick video of how it looks.

Brad Alan
    Participant

Hello,

Looks like you need to clean up the water pump.  Note that there’s a plate behind the gasket that you are seeing with another gasket then the case.  Be sure to take the plate off too, clean everything up, and use new gaskets when reassembling.

However, you have a different problem that’s not causing the motor to start… The motor should start even if you have no water in it… let alone a leak.

Spark: Check that the kart has spark.  While on the kart stand, pull the plug, connect it back to the boot, hold the plug against the cylinder head nut, put the kart in gear, and turn the wheels to turn over the motor.  It should spark.

Fuel: If it has spark, be sure it’s getting fuel.  Put a new plug in it and see if there is fuel on the plug after a few attempts to start.

Compression: If it has fuel and spark… check the compression.  If you don’t know how to do this, just take the cylinder off and see if the ring is stuck to the piston or excessive wear.

Let us know what you find!

Brad

Robert Henderson
    Participant

Thanks guys,

I got luckier than I deserve and found a guy less than a half mile from my house with a dirt bike shop who personally runs cr125 shifter karts.

I brought him the kart, he printed me out a list of parts to buy and come back to him when I had them. After his help on the part numbers I’m sure I could’ve handled the rest myself but I figured if he went out of his way to help me, I could pay him to do the work and probably learn a little.

So this past Saturday I brought him the kart and paid him 100 bucks to let me watch while he replaced the piston ring, all the gaskets aside from the crankcase, and the waterpump. After he finished he came with me to a local lot to help me get the kart started.

After going through everything to get it started again I think my issue was not turning over the motor enough to get the carb filled or possibly the piston ring. Regardless, she runs now and a big thank you to Dan at World of Powersports in Clearwater Fl.

So take from that what you will but now she runs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication