Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Moving to KT-100 – Looking for info

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Shawn Piquet 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Josh Hovermale
    Participant

I’m moving from a 4-stroke and I’m looking to get a KT-100.  I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for.  I’ll probably be buying used and want to know if there are any casting #’s or serial #’s that are good/bad/indifferent?  Any and all help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

David Cole
    Keymaster

I would contact any of the solid Yamaha engine builders in the midwest personally, to see if they have any good engines for sale – such as Comet Racing Engines.

Josh Hovermale
    Participant

I’d like to know what I’m getting before I buy an engine.

I’ve heard some discussion with the head on 2 fin vs 3 fin.  Some people like 2 fin, some like 3 fin. What makes each better / different? Some like a big bore piston, some like a small bore so there’s life left.  Whats a good range for the piston on a new/rebuilt engine?

If I just went out and bought an engine from a builder, I really wouldn’t know whats good or bad at this point.  I just want to learn some of the basics on this engine package.

tony zambos
    Participant

Josh,

Add L.A.D. Specialties to your list of vendors to contact. They are excellent people to work with. Their engines are fast, reliable and repeatable performance, rebuild after rebuild. And their prices are reasonable. http://www.ladspec.com/contact.html

I’d add the cost of a full rebuild to the cost of the motor. This way you’ll know exactly what condition the motor is in. Pick a builder and stick with them. Check out the Yamaha fields before you decide on whether you’ll be running a pipe or a can. Your builder will like to know. Pipe engines are going to have more maintenance then cans. Lower revs with the can make the difference. Put a second Yamaha on your wish list. It’s nice to have a spare at the track and also have the ability to have one motor in the shop while you have one on the kart.

Shawn Piquet
    Participant

Some good info on pete mullers web sight. Not sure I spelled that correctly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.