Home Forums General Karting Discussion Missing motor – Advice needed

This topic contains 34 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  russ Jolly 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

James McMahon
    Participant

Well that escalated quickly!

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Thanks Pete for airing your laundry out on EKN. I have not received the insurance check from UPS yet as I told you. I also had decided to find another engine and put it in top shape. (I don’t know where you are getting your pricing but it boggles the mind that a K9B is worth $2500.00. Did you pay that much for a used KZ?) I am at the point now where I think you should sue me. If I have to watch you drag this through the mud, I’m all for it. I have no control over how UPS handles the claim. Hopefully the check comes soon. But in the meantime I suggest that you get some hard evidence together that your K9B is worth 2K+. You’re probably right, you should have found a reputable re-builder. A customer of mine in West Chester physically searched the address with no luck. I would apologize but I did nothing wrong. I shipped your engine and it was lost by the shipper. I understand I am legally responsible. We may have to let that play out. tdb/GFK

wow, really?

I have no idea what motor that is, so I did a quick search.  First one I found, rebuilt for $3,400!!!!  Here is the link.  Maybe $2,500 sounds pretty good.

http://www.kartspeedmotorsports.com/pre-owned/engines/401-tm

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Pete Schaible
    Participant

Tom will be building me another motor and I have complete faith in his knowledge and his abilities.  He really is a nice guy in a bad situation and I’m sure the frustration got to him.  It’s easy to look from the outside and say what should have happened but as a small business owner it has to be hard to take a loss like that.  Tom is very passionate about karting and the TM series of motors.  When things go wrong that passion can cause a momentary lapse in judgement and I think that is what happened with his post.

I WILL continue to do business with him as I think his passion for the sport motivates him to do his best all the time and to see his products and service be top notch.

andy metzger
    Participant

Mr Barth

I can tell you that I ship hundreds of packages via UPS weekly and whenever I have a claim for loss or damage I get a check from them within 2 weeks.I love the statement ” I have decided to find another engine and put it in top shape”, did you ask your customer if he was alright with that? You also stated ” I understand I am legally responsible”, have you ever herd the phrase morally bankrupt? PLease do the right thing and send the man a check !

Pete

Looks like you a getting the run around here. If it were me and I paid with a credit card I would dispute the charges,remeber you only have 60 days from receipt of statement to do that. I would also give Mr Barth a time limit to settle on the balance and if that day comes and goes I would file in small claims court as he wishes.

Good luck !

Andy

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Sounds like you got it resolved Pete and that’s good. I’ve dealt with tom a few times and always got good advice along with what I needed when promised at a fair price. Sometimes emotions temporarily cloud judgment happens to all of us.

Brian

andy metzger
    Participant

Looks like my post was a minute too late.

Mr Barth thanks for doing the right thing!!!!!!

Andy

Thomas Barth
    Participant

Sorry guys,

My mistake. Pete and I are discussing what we will do to replace his motor.

tdb/GFK

Pete Schaible
    Participant

Brian, I really feel that is what happened.  Tom has always been helpful, polite, and has worked with me since I got into karting.  I talked to him at length today and he REALLY has put a lot of work into trying to resolve this with UPS, including having someone he knew actually looking for the package in the West Chester shipping hub,  Only problem was he never told me, so it looked to me like he wasn’t doing anything.

Hopefully this can be a learning experience for us all.  Sellers and Builders, insure your stuff for full value and pass that cost onto the consumer.  Consumers, don’t beat up the company over shipping charges.  Let them do what they need to protect themselves.

russ Jolly
    Participant

Never thought about loosing an engine, and have done businees with Tom before and had positive results. I will gladly return to him dispite this issue.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.