Home Forums Rotax Max Minimax problems

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Steve piggott 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Aaron LaRoque
    Participant

I am looking to start a discussion on the current state of the minimax class in the US.  In my opinion, the 1010 chassi rule has ruined the class.  Prior to last year, minimax used to have huge numbers.  Today, not so much.  The 1010 chassi rule and the weight of 290 lbs I believe is the cause of the low numbers in the class and its only going to get worse.  The last round of the FWT had 16 entries, its a joke.  The 1010 rule benefits a relatively few of the bigger kids.  I have 60 lbs of lead on Diego’s 1010.  Even the big kids I see have 10 to 20 lbs of lead.  In my opinion, Rotax needs to go back to the 950 chassi for minimax and 265 lbs.  Most of the older 12 and even 13 year old kids in minimax seem to have no problem going back to a cadet chassi and racing, as evidence this year at the SKUSA Supernationals where there were many 12 and 13 year old kids racing mini swift in the 950 chassi.   Even the Rotax Grand Finals will be racing minimax in the 950 chassi this year in Italy.

Christian Fox
    Participant

I have mixed feelings about the 1010. I agree that the chassis rule has probably diminished numbers. A lot of people only keep their kids in Mini for a year (dumb, IMO) and don’t want to buy a new chassis for one year. But in Evo form the Mini engine has enough power that I think the 1010 is a lot safer than a cadet. A decent Evo Mini motor has 7 or 8 more hp than a Mini Rok or Mini Swift. It’s also a nice stepping stone from a cadet to a full size. The problem is most chassis manufacturers give very little thought to their 1010 design. We’ve been on a Nordix and it’s…not great. It’s nothing more than a stretched out cadet with ill-fitting body work from a full size chassis. It’s impossible to use workable front hubs that don’t cause the front wheel to jam the side pods in tight turns. We are constantly fighting for rear grip. We are testing a prototype chassis and hope to get a more tunable chassis.

In our region Mini has always been a stepchild class, but last year was actually the best numbers wise we’ve been in a while. Rotax nationals had more Minis than Micros, which never happens. In our region we see a lot of people move their kid up to Junior too early. That’s another reason you see small Mini fields, but big Junior fields with 2/3 of the kids 1.5 seconds off the pace.

Jeff Arndt
    Participant

You both have made really good points about the class.  I think this transition to 1010s will take a few years to sort out.  It is my understanding this move was in part to align with Europe standards.

Moving the kiddos up to Junior when they turn 12 sounds like a good idea at the club level and can work out if there are not a lot of established juniors but it ultimately hurts the regional and national level series.

There are also kids going into Tag Junior at 12 and getting out of Rotax.

Tom Sabiel
    Participant

What is the weight for a minimax with a 1040 chassis. I am sitting at 310 with my 12 year old and no weight on the kart.

Thank you

Christian Fox
    Participant

Hi Tom, the min weight for Mini is 290 lbs. whether you are on a 1010 or a 1040.

Christian Fox
    Participant

Jeff, the rule was made to conform with Canada. In Europe they still run Mini on 950’s. I thought the cadet chassis looked way overpowered when I watched the Mini classes at Rotax Worlds this year. There were a number of bad flips in Mini.

In some Canadian series they run Micros and Minis on Vega Blues (which I’ve always found strange), which have a TON of grip. I wonder if the 1010 rule has anything to do with that. An Evo Mini on a cadet chassis shod with Vegas would be bicycling around every corner.

Mark Traylor
    Participant

Aaron,

Mini on 1010 or 950 has always been a stepchild class.  Numbers have never been good.   The best at COA was about 19 and the 2014 shootout was only about 22 and that was a bigger turnout than grand nationals.  Locally it has been small damn near everywhere.

Aaron LaRoque
    Participant

The west coast has never been that strong for Rotax.  But you look at the east coast and the biggest series in the US, the FWT.  In 2012 there were 58 minimax drivers, in 2013 there there were 48, in 2014 there were 50.  In 2015 when they went to the 1010 chassi, there were 27!!  This year there were even less, the final found this year had 16.  When you talk to the drivers in 2015 who normally would have moved up to minimax, most of them stayed in micromax another year because of the 1010 chassi rule.  Then they all just left and went and raced mini rok and mini swift.  Hmmm.  I admit Rotax has other problems, but the 1010 rule and the weight of 290 did not help.

marc-andre hubert
    Participant

I think its a great class, yes numbers are not that high but its caliber drivers, i don’t care to have huge field only to have a big field, big kids on the 950 usualy don’t do as good as small kids, many kids that stay in 950 way too long struggle when they go to full size, this is perfect transition imo.

Steve piggott
    Participant

A couple of things, we run the series in sonoma one year as a micro and now this year as a mini and in the past ran a comer on our cadet. Now that we are 11  years old the fit on the 1010 is much nicer than staying on a cadet. As a micro we are over weight and my kid is thin as a rail, he is just tall so at the end of our micro season we were at 250+ and if the 1010 wasn’t introduced we would be 10+ heavier this year. With the bigger chassie and more power to go with it I’m very happy as a parent. Way more stable. My 2 cents

low turn out could be the fact that it’s way way way to pricey to enter some of these series

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Steve piggott.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication