Home Forums Road Racing MIKE VANNOY updates

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Linda Baldus 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Linda Baldus
    Participant

I hesitated to start anything about how Mike is doing, thinking they would be kicking him out of the hospital at any time, but that’s not the case, and I know you are all wondering so I will try to keep you up to date.
    First of all, he has either broken or displaced nearly every rib on the right side. Punctured lung and damage to the liver. At first they were worried about the scapula but it was OK. He is in TERRIBLE pain, not sleeping well. Then this morning they wanted another CT scan and now they have moved him to ICU.
    Please keep Mike and the whole VanNoy family in your prayers, and I will try to update this as info becomes available.
    And this thread is for updates on Mike’s condition only. I don’t want to air our dirty laundry here!

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Unfortunately Mike has taken a turn for the worse. He has pneumonia and is not breathing on his own. They have induced a coma so that he will hopefully relax and begin healing.
    He is in Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka, but of course, being in ICU he can have no visitors.
    Debbie hasn’t left since Sunday.
    Bernie, Pierce and Cheryl went to see Debbie today and Mike & I plan to go tomorrow. Will keep you posted. I know everyone is concerned, but Cheryl said Debbie’s phone was ringing constantly with people from business and their big family, and of course, us racers.
    Prayers are the important thing right now.
    And Mike is tough, and in good shape to help with the fight.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Linda,

If you dont mind I’m going to copy and paste your notes above to my prayer group chat page.

Mikes condition sound very serious and we all know the power of prayer, these folks will lift him up!

LORD bring healing to Mike and peace & comfort to the family!!!!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Thanks for that Robert.
    I should have updates later. Mike & I will be heading that way shortly.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Linda Baldus
    Participant

We just got back from visiting the hospital. First of all I want to say that the doctors mentioned that Mike was really in good shape and that would be helpful to his recovery. Mike has been working with a personal trainer and swimming regularly for 1 1/2 years trying to lessen the problems he was having with his back.
    The doctor has said they are still unsure if they might have to operate on 2 of the ribs, but they will avoid that if possible.
    The rest is basically from the VanNoy family: Dad is more responsive. (Well, he actually moved his legs around and anytime he hears our voice, he tries to pull at his tube. He has mittens over his hands so he can’t do anything.) He’s 40% reliant on the ventilator (Yesterday he was 80% so that’s a very good thing.) His progress could still go back and forth. But so far, the doc said today he’s going in the right direction. If he continues to improve he may get the breathing tube out tomorrow night. Keep up the prayers; they are working.
    Thanks

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

David Moffitt
    Participant

Thanks, Linda, for keeping us updated on Mike’s condition.  I am encouraged to know that he is making some progress toward recovery.  I also appreciate that you have chosen to focus your posts on the most important factor at this time– Mike’s situation.  (Dealing with the rest of the incident can certainly wait.)

In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers are with Mike and his family.  May he make a complete and speedy recovery.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Just got an update from Debbie and the doctor has said his numbers are changing so fast, they are really encouraged. If things continue as they have been doing, they may take the tube out today. That is something they do not want to have to put back in so they want to make sure everything seems OK before doing that. If all things continue as they have been, they won’t talk to Debbie again until this evening. Keep watching.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Update for Dad from Ashley: Today they did a bronchial scope to clean out his lungs some more. He still has pneumonia but his #s have changed for the good. There was some talks about the breathing tube coming out today but he is not responding the way they need to make the doctor feel OK with it, so the tube will stay in and we will hope for tomorrow. Like they tell him to wiggle his toes; he may wiggle them 5 minutes later, just not right away. Surgery is still not out of the question. It looks like we still have a long road and stay here in Topeka. The grandkids are helping him push harder; they tell him to open your eyes and see. And he opened them really. We just wish he would get strong enough that the docs can move him; the commute is costly and time consuming and it’s a bummer because myself, Rachael and Mikey can’t stay for long periods.
    Thank you all for your love, support and praying. We read your messages to him.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Kelly Read
    Participant

Being there myself on Tuesday and again on Thursday this week, I am glad to report that Mike is moving forward in his recovery. Thursday he reacted to me when I was there and I could tell that he wanted to say something but was unable to with the tube in his throat.

Lindsay is up there today as I speak.

As Linda says, Mike is strong and will get through this!!!!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Finally some really good news. They did a MRI around noon today because they were wondering if he might have had a concussion, and that came back clear, so they removed the breathing tube. Debbie kept talking to him, asking if he could hear her and he actually said “What?”. And Debbie finally let it all out and cried.
    They think there’s a possibility his left foot is broken because it has been bruised, and now swollen.
    They have said after he gets out of the hospital it will be a rehab facility, and from what they say, it’s a month for every day in the coma.
    Keep those prayers coming.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Just got an update from Topeka: They have removed the chest tube and all that entails has checked out good; catheter is out; they are unplugging everything and preparing to move him out of ICU either tonight or tomorrow. He is eating and drinking. He is sitting in a chair and he WALKED to the chair. Still heavily medicated. They are thinking he will be moved to a KC hospital (probably Menorah) either Tuesday or Wednesday and it may be possible for him to go straight to rehab rather than the hospital. All wonderful news.
    He is remembering a lot of the crazy stuff he said when he was in the coma. Ready for the eclipse tomorrow.
    Bernie is giving him a 5 or 6 out of 10; he was at 1/10.
    Ashley told him she would bring the kids up tomorrow. He and Debbie usually walk the kids to school on the first day of school, so they missed that this year.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I have been posting the updates to our chat.

8 days ago this man was busted up and the outlook was not at all good. It just makes me smile because I have seen the miracle of Prayer and this…. this is just another of those moments that prove faith is bigger than all of us.

I hope I can meet Mike and his family one day, until then… BE blessed Brother!!!

GODSPEED Mike!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Just saw a video of Mike VanNoy walking the aisle with a walker and a therapist. What a stud! CAN’T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN!

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Going to have to re-do that last post. Unfortunately Mike may not have been in quite as good shape as everyone had hoped and they had to re-admit him to a hospital. I will update when I know more.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

John Crider
    Participant

Mike is in My Prayers and on the Prayer list where I go to Church. There can’t be too many Prayers.  Thanks for the updates Linda and by the numbers of people reading Your post shows the care and concern of our Go-Kart Family.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

John, I wish there were actually that many racers reading this but Mikie and Ashley had linked their FB pages to this site, so I suspect most of the hits have been Mike’s family, Jess and Jim’s employees, friends and business associates, etc.
    Mike is now in Menorah Hospital in Overland Park and after a short stay there to get his blood pressure and oxygen level regulated, they will transfer him to Menorah rehab. I suspect they will be working his butt off there and be limited as to when he can have visitors.
    Don’t know how long it will take, hopefully a short time, but then he will be at home and doing rehab as an outpatient.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  Linda Baldus.

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Mike B went to visit Mike V yesterday. He is @ the Menorah Hospital rehab unit.
    My Mike said he looked great, except that he has lost 20 lbs. Can you believe that! Less than 2 weeks. And when the guy is just about at a perfect weight, that’s not such a good thing. They brought in dinner while Mike B was there, and from the description, it didn’t sound too great but Mike V said he had a bag of sliders coming @ 8:00.
    Seem to have everything under control for now and hoping to be sent home by mid-week.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Linda Baldus.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

This is ALL fantstic news Linda. Thank You and the Fam for keeping us updated!

Although the Karting family HERE may not have hit this thread as often as we would expect, there are folks out there whom are now extended karting Fam through heartfelt prayer! ….. and thats cool!

BE blessed Y’all!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

I saw on Ashley’s FB that Mike went home last night. Keep praying for him; getting him to do what the docs tell him, such as not going to the restaurant etc., may be the real challenge. I don’t know any time that he has done REST well!

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication