Home Forums Chassis & Handling Middle bearing question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel White 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Daniel White
    Participant

I race Yamaha and use a 50mm axle (if that makes a difference).

Is there a handling difference between merely zip-tying the middle bearing and removing it altogether?

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Nope.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Gary Lawson
    Participant

About 2 pounds if you take it out. Otherwise no.

Matt Martin
    Participant

Without the hanger there, you’d get rid of parasitic losses from the bearing having to rotate.

Daniel White
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

So if it were you (or me), a 5-11, 162-ish driver racing Yamaha spec pipe / can, would you take out the middle bearing or leave it in?

When I got the kart, I took it out, but my racing friends tell me to put it back in. Their argument is that having it in gives me more tuning options. My counter to that is if I want to tighten up the rear, I can

1. narrow the rear track
    2. tighten the bolts to my rear bumper
    3. install my rear torsion bar

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Well option 3 should be the very last resort on any kart. 99% of people throw out their rear torsion bars.

I like having it in because it’s a quick little adjustment to see if you need to go stiffer on the axle. Put the bolts in and see if the slight stiffening helps the kart.

Options 2 and 3 on your list involve stiffening the actual frame from tube to tube. I like to have an option to stiffen the axle too, as that can have a different effect to stiffening the actual frame.

Team Driver - Innovative Performance/Tony Kart // Owner - Oktane Visual Custom Helmet Paint and Graphic Design

Walt Gifford
    Participant

If you have a hard high speed braking zone, the rear of the kart might go all wonky without the middle axle bearing depending on the track and traction you might flip.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

TJ Koyen
    Participant

If you have a hard high speed braking zone, the rear of the kart might go all wonky without the middle axle bearing depending on the track and traction you might flip.

I seriously hope that’s a joke Gif.

Daniel White
    Participant

I haven’t flipped, but I will say that my local track has a hairpin-ish turn, and I swapped ends three times this past weekend. The kart didn’t swap ends on initial braking, but late in the zone, just before turn in.

Now, perhaps this was because I may have started the turn before my kart had slowed enough, but I’ve driven this track for eight years and have rarely had this much trouble.

Maybe the middle bearing, even just zip tied, provides a bit more stability under braking, no?

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Daniel White.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Daniel White.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication