Home Forums Road Racing Michigan International Speedway Sept. 6 & 7

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 47 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Wilhelm 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Mike Burrill
    Participant

Big thanks to MKC and the volunteers for another great MIS weekend!  My 3rd and the best one yet!

Mike Burrill -
    Karting Kartel

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Even though the storm on Friday tried to blow us and our tent away we still had a great time.

Brain and Robert that was an absolute blast on saturday. The three of us racing for the lead for the first 15 mins was really good fun. I’m thinking of patenting that off road passing maneuver:) Looking forward to seeing your vid Robert. I’ll upload mine to youtube soon and post the link here when I do.

Thanks to MKC for another fun event and looking forward to coming back again next year.

Jeremy Baldi

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Big Thanks to MKC and everyone involved putting on MIS this past weekend, it was a great event!! If you weren’t there you missed a fantastic facility and good racing.

Robert and Jeremy it was great racing with you guys, and as Robert says hilarious too. Good clean racing with you guys. I don’t think in the first five laps I ever hit the same place on the track twice! You guys pushed me to get it figured out quick.

It was great meeting all the new folks, everyone was just super friendly. The ONLY thing I would change is to move the inside cones more inside to make the transition to the oval a little better.

Joel Walworth
    Participant

I really enjoyed this event as well. Reservations have already been made for next year. Thanks for all the effort from the wonderful folks at MKC. Also a big thank you for making the vintage karts welcome!!

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Here is the vid from saturdays F125 race. Brian, Robert and I had good battle for lead for the first 16 mins of the race. Lots of fun and thanks for the good racing.

Jeremy Baldi

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Wow, that was sooooo much fun!!!!

Love and hate the onboard video…..

Love it, you can learn so much that you don’t remember when you step out of the kart.

Hate it, because it just doesn’t lie….the mistakes are undeniable!

This is a big help to me, my view doesn’t show how close (or far) my line was from the apex/curbing. Super cool to see the other view, priceless!

Your still killin me through that infield left but I’m pretty happy with the top speed of that stocker.

You Tube will only let me post 15 min of video so I’ll have to figure out how to edit it down.

Can’t wait for next time!!!!!

RPM

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Yeah I watch certain parts and am like wow I killed that corner.  And than you see other parts you were I say biffed that pretty bad. But it also allows you to to see my “on the grass crazy pass” again and again which is awesome.

Yeah my infield is pretty good but need some more top speed for sure. I got some ideas on things to try for next year. I know the wing hurts top speed some but lap time is always better with it on.

Your top speed is definitely pretty good. But Brain’s is just screaming.

YouTube always you to post over 15 mins if you verify your account. So you could try that.

Jeremy Baldi

Robert Lawson
    Participant

If I run into that corner like you do all my laps would be “in the grass”!!!

Flyin Brian was at it again, that Pavesi has a killer 6th gear!!!!

I’ll see what I can do about the video.

(We missed you Mitch!!!! 😉 )

RPM

Robert Lawson
    Participant

It took 5 hours to upload to YouTube but it finally finished.

This is shot on an HD VIO cam, it takes super sharp video but for some reason it didn’t upload in that form. It’s clear & sharp from the file viewing on my PC. The disc’s and flashdrive copies also turned out very clear, so clear you can easily read the data.

Bummer it didn’t load in full effect. My Daytona video is longer yet and if it won’t upload in full HD I won’t bother. That was some good video and an insane first few laps!!!!

RPM

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Robert vid is awesome. So cool to see another view.  It seemed like one time I would do okay on the straight and the next time you guys would pull away like crazy. I guess just weather I got on straight well or got any draft. Hope for more races like this in the future.

Quality looked good to me.  When you first post to YouTube it doesn’t give the HD quality option right away. It takes a few hours to give you the 1080p option.

Jeremy Baldi

Robert Lawson
    Participant

That explains it! Was bummed out, this cam takes sweet footage.

I have to remember to turn on the Mychron display backlight on days when there isn’t bright sunshine.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Robert and Jeremy, you guys got great video of me totally dorking up the infield for several laps until I started to get it figured out. Here’s my rear-facing video.

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

That is so cool. Glad we can’t see behind us during the race because the rear view is so intimidating. Great to see yet another view. Next year we need to have a battle like that for the full 45mins.

Jeremy Baldi

Noah Stark
    Participant

Great vids guys! Kills me that I couldn’t make it up there.  Its on my must attend for 2015!

Robert- No sprag?

johnny brooks
    Participant

Jeremy,

That’s an interesting shift paddle you’ve got…any chance you could post a picture or two?

Great videos.

Steve Matotan
    Participant

Thanks for posting those videos.

Steve

Dan Rudd
    Participant

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Were currently sitting in a board meeting reading these and planning next year.

Put Sept 19 and 20, 2015 on your calendar.

Thanks for all those who came out. It was an amazing event and wouldn’t have been possible without all of you.

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Johnny,

Here is a pic of my paddle shifter. It is an evolution of of one my dad created in the mid 80’s. Basic design is normal. Butterfly paddle hooked up to a push/pull cable.

But most guys have a rod that is as wide as the steering wheel that they take their fingers off wheel and pull with right hand to shift up and with left hand to shift down.

Ours is same idea but is much smaller so I can keep more of my hands on the wheel and just use my fingers to shift. I added the red plastic “button” so that during downshifts and braking when you are being thrown around pull with left finger and push with right thumb. This gives more control. Upshifting is just down with pull of fingers.

photo-3

Jeremy Baldi

Robert Lawson
    Participant

I have to be honest…..I certainly do not mind being visible in that rear shot!

BW, you were not that far off! The speed of that rig made it very hard to overcome the Oval distance you put on us.

Noah, uhhh….no! Not to my taste I guess….old habits are hard to break. It just seems (and sounds) unnatural!!!

Hollywood, I’ll get that Daytona video uploading tonight. Just for you!!!! 😉

Noah Stark
    Participant

Yea, driving with a sprag was by far the toughest thing to get used to for me.  I like the peace of mind just in case of you know what, but whew, did that make braking that much tougher.  Def think it would be faster without one.

Robert Lawson
    Participant

Noah,

take a look at that Daytona video. During that race I point out to the cam that the H2O is not right…..I start driving with my left hand on the clutch. It was a loose lead connection that becomes evident when it doesn’t blow-up!!! 🙂

I’ve been pretty lucky, have gone “for the ride” a few times but have caught it with the clutch more times than not.

As long as were not racing on street courses with concrete tunnels I guess it doesn’t concern me all that much. Every part of what we do is inherently dangerous. We accept that each time we get in the kart……hence my pausing to Pray!

Watched the Race Monitor from M-O, ya’ll were killin it there. Glad to see you have not been polluted by them-there-sit-up-type karts!!!!!!

RPM

johnny brooks
    Participant

Johnny,

Here is a pic of my paddle shifter. It is an evolution of of one my dad created in the mid 80’s….

Nice,
    Thanks.

Brian Wilhelm
    Participant

Yup, Noah got it DONE at Mid-O. Very impressive.
    FWIW, I feel like a sprag frees up the kart and makes it go thru the corners easier. I think I’d have a hard time converting back to driving without a sprag. Ya just gotta drive it like a clutch kart that you are mad at.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication