--> MG Tires Break-In Procedure? – eKartingNews

Home Forums General Karting Discussion MG Tires Break-In Procedure?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Colm O’Higgins 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Todd Kageals
    Participant

So I finally got a new set of MG yellows to run in the last road course race of the season.  This is my first set of MGs.  Is there a certain break-in procedure to follow to get the maximum LIFE from the tires?

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Kageals
    Participant

So they are not directional?????

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

You’ll notice a little < on the side wall.  We run them in that direction, but I’ve also heard from a reputable source that that’s BS.  We do it anyway.

On a HOT day, you can cook them in one round of practice.  What we do is run old tires until the last practice session, them run the new ones for a few laps and let them cool.  If you’re talking about Summit this weekend, you don’t have to worry about over heating them!!!  To say the least.  Just run them.  They’ll be fine.  Just don’t kill them in the first round of practice.

Sr.

Gary Smith
    Participant

Yes, they are directional, mount them yellow side out on the right and black wall on the left.  Like Clark said, take it easy on the 1st session, let them cool, then your good to go.

Gary

Honda CR80 #55

Matt Dixon
    Participant

Just go WFO

3rd or 4th lap will be the fastest

94y

Colm O’Higgins
    Participant

What about Reds?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

No, you want them as new as possible before the feature race. You’ll get max life by rotating them left to right once during the day and turning them around on the wheel between events.

Gif

Chris Beebe
    Participant

I found out after my last race that I had my rear YLC tires on backwards from what the arrows say and all I can say is that the traction was perfect and I actually might try it again being the kart ran so well!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.