Home Forums Road Racing Looking to run some long track

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Zambos 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jason Ewers
    Participant

I’ve been sprint racing for years and thought I may dip my feet into a few long track races in the midwest with my tag. What would I need to accomplish this. Do I need full body work.  Thanks

Ray Chiappe
    Participant

Depends on the class you run on the type of body work.  But there are plenty of Sprint classes avail. that use stock sprint plastic! The main thing you will find very different is the gearing.

Jeff Salak
    Participant

To go from Tag Sprint to Road race isnt much to do. Gearing change like Ray said for most Tag engines and tracks this will be a 16T driver and sometimes a 15T. Lay back your seat so your not sitting so upright. Front brakes are always good to have.
    What Tag engine you run? If you run a Leopard you may want to get a road race clutch.
    What series do you plan to run with?

Kelly Read
    Participant

Jason,

Before you go and make changes to the kart, you might want to check on the rules in the area you plan to race at. Not all orgs allow the seat to be laid back. If you plan to run a KART/MARRS event, I can help you here.  This series races in Ks., Ok., Ne. Around here we all run a 16 tooth front gear. We have ran both the sprint & R.R. hub and biggest difference we seen was that the R.R. hub lasted longer.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Jason,

Like it was mentioned already: Check the rules with what race you plan to compete in, and get a 16T driver.

If you run WKA, you need dual-brake system. Which means two separate brake systems, either two rear or one front/one back

If you run CES, you won’t need to worry about the extra brakes.

I suggest Grattan and Gingerman. Both require you to drive well.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Jason, if you’re going to the Springfield show this Sunday, pm me and we can talk at length about road racing in the midwest at the show.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication