Home Forums Shifter Karts Looking to get back into 125 Shifters (Mid West)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Bob Davies 12 months ago.

• Author

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

I’ve been running LO206 for a few years after running shifters on street and road courses from about 2005-2012 (both 125 and 250). However I moved to a new area recently and the nearest track (NCMP) seems too big for an LO206. You are flat out a lot of the way around and all the drivers rely on bump drafting, which I didn’t experience at my last track and I can’t say I’m a fan of. So, given NCMP is a big track and I want to get into road racing again also because that’s where my heart lies, I’m considering buying a 125 shifter.

Does anyone here race 125 shifter at NCMP? If not, does anyone know much about the road racing shifter scene in the mid-west? Also where is a good place to buy one?

Eric Riggs
    Participant

I’ve only run at NCMP once a few years ago for SKUSA summer nats.  It’s a fun track for a shifter kart.  As for road racing check out http://www.championshipenduro.com/

For buying a shifter kart there’s going to be lots of opinions but personally I’ve had good luck buying used either on ebay or ekn.  The next question you’ll ask is what engine to go with and again that’s a tough question to answer.  I think most would agree that the newer ICC’s are taking over now but stock honda’s are still pretty competitive.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

As Eric noted, check out the Championship Enduro Series (CES), DART Kart Club, KART, and the World Karting Assoc.  All are, or have road race series.

We road race with WKA and the Woodbridge Kart Club, so we’re a bit further East.  But it might be worth checking with CPI (Phil Davis, Pa.) or Fisher Racing Engines (Brian Fisher, Tx.) for chassis’ and motors.

As Eric also stated, Stock Honda’s are very popular in some areas, but the KZ (ICC) engines are getting a little more popular here in the East.

Hope that gives you a start, and welcome back,

Clark Sr.

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

Hi Eric, thanks for replying. I checked out the site you linked to also, looks good! Do they race at Gateway Motorsports Park in St Louis?

I’m glad you said there are lots of options, because I had done some initial browsing and not found much (Craigslist, Ebay, I didn’t know where else to look). I found some on the forum here so thanks for that tip, I’m hoping to find something relatively local that I can view before buying. Regarding engine. I think I’m going to go Honda CR125 (Stock Honda?). I ran a TM before and liked it, but I gather the Honda is much better supported here.

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

As Eric noted, check out the Championship Enduro Series (CES), DART Kart Club, KART, and the World Karting Assoc. All are, or have road race series. We road race with WKA and the Woodbridge Kart Club, so we’re a bit further East. But it might be worth checking with CPI (Phil Davis, Pa.) or Fisher Racing Engines (Brian Fisher, Tx.) for chassis’ and motors. As Eric also stated, Stock Honda’s are very popular in some areas, but the KZ (ICC) engines are getting a little more popular here in the East. Hope that gives you a start, and welcome back, Clark Sr.

Thanks Clark. I’ll certainly check those things out. I won’t be racing until next season now so I have time to save up and sort my things out.

Jeremy Baldi
    Participant

Clark gave some good info for road racing near you.  I know Dart Kart Club/AKRA gets together with CES to do Mid Ohio and Grattan.  And they have 25-40 shifters show up for those races.  And than both clubs have other races that get 15+ at there other events.  They have stock honda classes too but those have smaller class sizes.  The DKC/AKRA series also races with MKC that has 2 races at MIS which isn’t to far from you.

If you’re looking for a kart I’m just about to post my 2011 Zanardi/TM k9b for sale.  Email me at skillege@ymail.com if you’re interested.  If not hope you find a good kart and have great time racing shifters.

Jeremy Baldi

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

Thanks Jeremy, I’m looking for a Honda package but will drop you an email. Some of the acronyms need clarification too :D

James O’Brien
    Participant

Hey Alex, glad to hear you are looking for a shifter. We have CKR chassis in stock and a dealer on the East Coast. Our focus is shifter karts from top to bottom. Let me know if I can help you get in the seat of the Stock Honda shifter you are looking for. Call 208.384.KART (5278) or email james@eshifterkart.com

www.eshifterkart.com

Rod Balding
    Participant

Hi Alex , Give me a call at 618-599-9379 , I have an Intrepid Silverstone shifter kart I’m thinking of selling , sorry no motor but a lot of extra’s for the kart (seats , wheels , spindles , etc.)  Kart is mint .

Thanks

Rod B.

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

Hey Alex, glad to hear you are looking for a shifter. We have CKR chassis in stock and a dealer on the East Coast. Our focus is shifter karts from top to bottom. Let me know if I can help you get in the seat of the Stock Honda shifter you are looking for. Call 208.384.KART (5278) or email james@eshifterkart.com

Hi James, We have actually met before! I visited you in your shop last summer before I moved East. I love the CKR chassis but at the moment will be looking at used while I find my feet again. I will definitely keep your number handy though in case I need anything parts wise, thanks.

Alex Lloyd
    Participant

Hi Alex , Give me a call at 618-599-9379 , I have an Intrepid Silverstone shifter kart I’m thinking of selling , sorry no motor but a lot of extra’s for the kart (seats , wheels , spindles , etc.) Kart is mint . Thanks Rod B.

Where are you located and how much are you looking for? I have my 206 for sale now and have to sell that before buying so hopefully that goes quick, unless someone wants to trade :)

Rod Balding
    Participant

Hi Alex , I am in Marshall , IL. (which is on I-70 about 15 miles west of Terre Haute , Ind .) Please call 618-599-9379 and price will differ from a roller or it and all the extras , I will treat you right if you take it all .

Rod

Rod Balding
    Participant

Alex ,

Give me a call on my Intrepid Silverstone Shifter kart and LOTS of spare parts ( wheels , new tires ,seats , floor pans , front calipers , axles , rear sprockets , 2 sets of extra new spindles , extra front and rear hubs ) it’s an 08 with less than 8 times out since new , it has been hanging in my heat air cond. garage since I purchased it in the fall of ’09 and I totally rebuilt the kart this spring and has not been on the ground since , health issues have kept me from using it and last Friday I broke my left lower lower leg in 3 place so I will not be able to ever run it so it needs gone . asking somewhere between $2500.00 – $3000.00 depending on if you want the Mychron 3 Gold Plus . Of course for the $3000.00 that includes everything I have kart related (kart and parts only , engines and parts I have are not included) engines are not shifters , I have 2 not new but one has break-in time only and the other is fresh and needs broken in 100cc air cooled EasyKart motors ( basiclly the same as the new IAME KA-100 .  Absolutely will NOT seperate any parts for the kart .

Thanks

Rod Balding

618-599-9379

Tony Malito
    Participant

Alex,

I am DR kart dealer and have a couple used CR125 Stock Moto packages that are race ready. One with an 99 and one with an 01. Both are 2017 DR M99s (30/32mm). Let me know what you are looking for and I’m sure I can make it happen.

frontierautosport@gmail.com

Bob Davies
    Participant

I have a 2017 CRG / SRS Stock Honda (if that would help you) that just ran 3 of the 2017 CES series races.

bob – 330-419-2291

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.