--> Looking to buy/get into our first 80 or 125cc Kart – eKartingNews

Home Forums Shifter Karts Looking to buy/get into our first 80 or 125cc Kart

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Danee Popovski
    Participant

So my sister and myself are looking to get into out first Shifter Kart. I’m thinking like a 125cc Kart that “needs work” or a makeover that I can do this winter. We are in Michigan and it is getting towards winter here so I’d like to get something I can break down here in my shop. I have a performance and powder coating shop where we build custom dirt bikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles and restore classic and muscle cars so doing the work isn’t a problem. However, I am not too familiar with what type of Kart to go with?? Any help or if anyone knows of or has anythng for sale that would be a good candidate for what we are looking for would be great!!\

Thanks ahead of time!

Danee

Alan Michel
    Participant

I’d go with 125cc,    I havent seen any 80cc in years…

try to stay within 5 yrs for chassis, easier to find parts needed, and the prices on chassis drop drastically after 1-2 yrs of use.

good luck.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

IMO, from experience, a kart that “needs work” is generally more trouble than it’s worth.

As easy as it is to work on these karts, the reality is most of the “work” involved consists of pulling out your wallet and buying the replacement parts – and while not necessarily “expensive”, a lot of the time, you’ll find it would be just as cost effective to have spent a few hundred more up-front on a kart that doesn’t “need work”.

The other benefit is that rather than getting a well-used frame with that kart that “needs work”, you’ll likely be getting a lightly used frame by going with a kart that doesn’t need work.  And the kart that doesn’t need work will likely be much more competitive.

The only possible exception might be the case where the kart that needs work is coming with a lot of extras that are transferable to other karts or just generally needed to race (kart stand, rims, hubs, Mychron, transponder, sprockets, tire tools, etc), where you’re really just paying for those extras  and the seller is throwing in the kart just to get it out of his garage.  But you’d better realize in that case that you’ll still need to spend more to get that older kart on the track, and it still likely won’t be competitive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.