Home Forums General Karting Discussion Looking for first kart

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Maxson 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Chris Stylianou
    Participant

Trying to get into karting for first time.

I am looking to get feedback on this one kart located not too far from me. How do older karts (06-08) compare to the newer karts (10-14.) And what would be a fair price for this kart without the extra engine. Sorry for all the questions. I just don’t know anyone who is into karting but want to learn more.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/4591989684.html

Tyson Henry
    Participant

I wouldn’t pay 4300 for it, even with the extra motor. Without looking at it in person, my top dollar would probably be 3000. I would try to get all spares at that price also. Make sure to ask detailed questions on maintenance to get a feel for possible issues you might run into.

Chris Stylianou
    Participant

3000 with or without the extra motor?

Brad Nyman
    Participant

An older kart can be just as good as a newer one if you can get it set up properly. Its just a case of is the older kart bent or cracked because if it is, then it will handle awkwardly and never feel quite right.

I would pay $4000 max with all the tools and extra motor. And thats assuming the chassis is straight and the rails aren’t worn down on bottom. If buying sight unseen (which i would never do) then max is around $3500. The one thing that worries me is that they don’t list the hours of the motors. Sure there may be a spare, but if both have over 20 hrs than that does you no good.

Heres also some questions for you…

have you driven a proper kart before?

What will be your home track?

do you plan on traveling and racing regionally?

what is your goal in karting (hobby racer, play karter, or serious racer)?

all of these things mayor may not influence if that kart is even right for you.

If you have any questions, just ask. EKN is full of knowledge and people willing to help. i’m also in NJ so if you have any NJ specific questions feel free to pm me when ever.

Brad

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Chris, before you buy junk come look at my 2008 CRG Road Rebel. It has very little track time. I got it to run Rotax but got out of rotax and into 4 stroke the same year and I’ll give you a fair price. It has a good KT100 on it or you can buy the roller. It’s ready to gas and go with new tires from a karter with over 40 years in the game, come check it out.

Gif

Jim Maxson
    Participant

I got a nice Tag set up with fresh Blueprinted Engine. only stand break in.  All spares and brand new enclosed trailer used 6 times .  $ 6200.00 in NJ

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Like mentioned earlier, what is your goal with the sport for right now? If you are just now learning about the sport, I would go to the track and see what is offered in your area. New Jersey Motorsports Park is the biggest facility that is close to you. I would also check out Mike Doty Racing to see what used packages he may have for you, that are ready to go.

Your first question however is, what class and engine do you want to race?

Jim Maxson
    Participant

Chris, E-town raceway park karting is the closest for you in Old Bridge NJ.

Go down check it out. I know of a few kart packages that are for sale.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.