Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 LO206 racing in the northeast?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

As someone looking to make the jump from indoors to outdoor karting, LO206 racing is extremely appealing for the obvious reasons-simplicity and cost. The only issue for me that that in the northeast US (New York specifically), there doesn’t seem to bee a whole lot of LO206 racing going on. Oakland Valley, Long Island Kart Assn, Raceway Park etc do not run LO206 classes.

Does anyone know if there is anything going on that I am missing, or any plans for expansion into the northeast area? Is it up to someone like me to buy a LO206 and just hope people follow suit?

Nick

David Cole
    Keymaster

The northeast has not caught onto the Briggs LO206 category like the rest of the country. Many of the tracks are invested in other engine platforms, and have not seen the great package that is the LO206. The best bet is to get one, and go there, so people can see it first hand.

I know in NH, World Formula is a popular 4-Cycle option. The tracks like OVRP, LIKA, and Raceway Park are perfect facilities for LO206 racing. I would contact each directly to find out options if you go with LO206.

If not, Yamaha the next step up in the ladder system.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Christian Fox
    Participant

We’ve had groups of Briggs guys race at OVRP. They’ve come as a group, seemed like five or six of them. If three or four show up on a club race day, they will run a class. Give OVRP a call and see if they can get you in touch with some other Briggs guys. It’s not exactly local, but Quebec is Briggs Central. They get huge classes for all ages in Briggs at all the tracks in eastern Canada.

James McMahon
    Participant

How far are you willing to travel? Sandy Hook Speedway offers LO206. Check with them on entry levels.

In the absence of LO206 gathering momentum yet in your area, I’d recommend you look at the Briggs World Formula class. It offers reliability and ease of use comparable to the LO206 and is very popular in your area.

Unless you want to learn about (or have experience with) 2 strokes including jetting (along with consequences of getting it wrong = $$), carb rebuilding, mixing fuel and clutch tuning along with more frequent rebuild periods skip Yamaha KT100.

To me, if you are going to go to the trouble of learning those extra technical nuances, you might as well go with a TaG and get some extra speed for your trouble.

Starting off however, go for the minimum hassle, and max fun. LO206 or World Formula are where that’s at right now.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies!

Maryland is a bit far for me. OVRP is a day trip for me, at this point that’s what I’m looking for.

And I agree with skipping Yamaha…the rebuilt interval just doesn’t make sense. Based on rebuild prices I was quoted, you’re paying 100$/hr on a Yamaha for just the motor.

If I’m running TaG it may as well be Rotax IMO because of the possibility of running the Rotax spec series and rebuild interval/cost (~40$/hr) and of course the speed.

So at this point is the LO206 or Rotax, and Rotax dominates the fields out here.

James McMahon
    Participant

Where in NY are you based? Would you consider a Briggs World Formula?

It’s the same base motor as the LO206 (Animal\Intek) and is also a spec class, without sealing and offers umph on par with a can KT100.

Anonymous

I am in northern Westchester county. I’d be open to it, but it doesn’t look like it’s a supported class locally either.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Check out NHKA and their World Formula program. Its about a four-hour drive, but it’s a great club program that races at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

Contact DRT Racing to see if they can set you up with a DR Kart and World Formula package. Or, there are other racers that loan out karts I believe in the area.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Just get an LO206 then go around the pits bragging your unbeatable because you drive flat out. Soon you will have many more LO206 trying to run you over.

Don’t forget when you’re done with LO206 it can be converted to an Animal.

Gif

P.S. FYI I heard the LO206 class at Sandyhook is all Jrs at this time.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Ambrose Buldo
    Participant

I’d consider switching over spare kart from KPV100 to WF or LO206 if there was a class at OVRP. No one showes up on a constant basis with 100cc Air cooled motors, forcing me to go Rotax. Rotax is more speed, cost and comnplexity.

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses guys.

I’ve got my roller, and I’m planning on sticking a LO206 in it as soon as possible. I’m going to run practice whenever and wherever I can and hopefully drum up some enthusiasm for the class (and learn how to tune a kart).

If if falls flat, you’ll probably see me with a Rotax like the rest of em about this time next year.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.