Home Forums General Karting Discussion Lo206 in NJ

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 71 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Clark Gaynor Sr. 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Brad Nyman
    Participant

Would people be willing to race Lo206 if the class was started up locally? It seems like the tracks in our area could really use an affordable class.

If we can get enough people to commit or start thinking about it, Then it may take off at our local tracks like NJMP and  Etown.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I’m in if it’s WKA rules.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Brad Nyman
    Participant

What would be the benefit of running wka rules vs. sprint only rules? I’m just interested in hearing what other racers think is better for growing a class from the ground up.

Personally, I know of lots if sprint chassis just sitting in people’s garages waiting to be run again or sold to new people, but it’s hard to justify the cost of running tag as a newbie.

One last question, is it better to run a spec tire and try and get manufacture support and have prize packages or a discount program, or go open tire and leave it to the racers to decide what to run. Personally I’d like to see spec tire with manufactures support and maybe even a yearly limit to keep costs in check.

Everyones input would be greatly appreciated so that we can try and make something happen to grow karting again. I’m tired of going to a club race and seeing only 30 people total racing.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

James McMahon
    Participant

Respect for taking the initiative to try and pull something together.

My suggestion would be to take a look at the midwest based “LO206 Cup” for ideas. Their program is based in the Midwest and seems to be working very well. They have support from Briggs, a rulebook already done which accommodates both CIK and WKA bodywork and have a spec tire picked out with support from Vega.

http://www.206cup.com/

James McMahon
    Participant

Looks like NJMP are offering LO206 in some form, as well as sandy hook speedway:

http://tinyurl.com/mat65ex

Brad Nyman
    Participant

Njmp hasn’t released anything regarding club races this year. As far as we know there aren’t any club races. But on the chance that there are club races, is like to see Lo206 on the class list. Karting in our area is starting to hurt and it would be great to see cheap competitive class running alongside our normal classes.

I started in 4 cycle karts at NJMP then progressed to rotax and now leopard/x30 with the chance of going back to rotax as well. I’m a firm believer that an accessible class is a must to keep this sport going.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Well I got ahead of myself, I thought WKA allowed both body styles maybe not?

Where are you getting your info from NJMP? All I know is they open mar 7 and they no longer have the affordable 1/2 day practice session.

You should allow any chassis any body work and any tire and rat karts if you want to pull people from the four corners.

Gif

Anonymous

If guys show up at E-town they will have a class for them to race.. I too have heard that no regular karting events will be at NJMP, just special events that have rented the track for that series.

Brad Nyman
    Participant

All of us club guys stay pretty well connected with each other so things don’t stay secret long. Multiple people have called and NJMP isn’t running a club series by themselves anymore it seems. And the half day practices that were cheap haven’t been around for atleast 2 years now.

I know Etown will make a class for 5 people, but it’s getting 5 interested and kicking it into gear is what I’m looking for.

Honestly, rules do not matter to me. I understand that a basic set of rules will work in the beginning for getting a filled class, but I fear in the long run it won’t work out. When I started karting, there was a youth league called hypermoto. The highest class was a outlaw/rwyb Honda gx200 class. It was great until people spent way too much money trying to be the fastest and build the best motor. It ended up being a spending war and it really killed the class and even the series.

Thats why I’m interested in hearing what rules will be best received.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

David Cole
    Keymaster

It’s simple: Keep the engine rules like the rest of the country – following the Briggs rule structure that hasn’t changed in the last few years.

Next, use standard safety rules like WKA uses, and let it rip. Don’t worry if its a CIK kart or a laydown seat. It really doesn’t matter as long as there is a class for racers to get into the sport or come back out of retirement. When you get 20-30 on a grid, then you can start worrying about what chassis rules to follow.

Remember, this is karting. Make it simple and people will come.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

Darrin Tebbe
    Participant

My advice is to stick to either the true Briggs LO206 rules, WKA rules, or any other series that tries to make the class INCLUSIVE.

Don’t do what some tracks are doing (GoPro Motorplex comes to mind) where you have to buy a one-off $200 exhaust, have rim width rules that exclude most american karts, require #35 chain only, require CIK bodywork, exclude this seat or that seat, etc. The whole idea is supposed to be that you can bolt on an affordable engine package to a kart you already have and go racing. Stick with that concept.

DT

Walt Gifford
    Participant

+1 for inclusive rules. I don’t even have a CIK kart right now.

Gif

James McMahon
    Participant

I removed the LO206 tag from NJMP.

The B&S rules only cover the motor. I think it’s a given that Brad is going to stick with those motor rules.

The LO206 cup ruleset covers the B&S motor rules as well as an inclusive bodywork package. They have  and they have picked out a spec tire from Vega who are supporting the series with a credit per entry fee.

Talk to Greg Jasperson (LO206 cup) and or David Klaus (B&S). I don’t have any affiliation with this series, other than seeing it as a very sensible, holistic approach to LO206 racing.

My thought is that by using this proven approach as the template for your initiative you are more likely to find success in getting people onboard.

Brad Nyman
    Participant

Obviously, You do not under any circumstances change the briggs motor rules. That would almost guarantee that the class is a failure.

I was more interested in knowing what people where thinking in terms of chassis rules and tire specs. I am up for anything chassis wise. It seems the general consensus is keep it open. Is there a difference in performance though, or is it just looks and construction.  I’m a tag guy and even when I ran 4 strokes, it was conventional cik chassis so i have never ran against a laydown seat/full bodywork kart.

Force.One motorsports
    Gear up F-series racer

David Cole
    Keymaster

Depends on a number of factors – type of chassis, type of wheels, type of tires, and more importantly, who is driving.

At a track like Rock Island, with all drivers on 5″ wheels: CIK chassis, 4-Cycle chassis, laydown seat, CIK seat, big nose, CIK nose, they all ran together at the front. It really comes down to who’s driving.

If the class is just getting started, keep things open to bring in as many people as you can. Keeping tire costs to a minimum is another good thing, so not to force racers to buy a new set every club race.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor -
    FB Tweet Inst

Chris McGinley
    Participant

Just a note on this, there will be racing at F1 New Jersey (i.e., NJMP) this year … the details are still being finalized. As for LO206, I think it’d be a fun class to build – do we have any sense of how many LO206 engines are in the area?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Chris, if you build it they will come.

Ambrose Buldo
    Participant

I never really understood how NJMP Pratice/Racing worked. With OVRP and ET, you checked their web site and saw days open, what is practice and what is race. I know what the prices are. I know on practice days ET is mostly drivers bringing their own kart. Same for OVRP although you may lose some track time due to arrive and drive/rentals and classes. Still track time is more than enough.

NJMP is 3 hrs away for me, it is a great track, but if I drive that far for practice, hope to get reasonable track time. For most part can only practice on weekends. Wither accurate or not, seems like Arrive/Drive and rentals take presidiance. Hopefully track will be avaialible for racer practice on weekends, will be cost effective….

Chris McGinley
    Participant

Gif – let’s hope so. The more karters the better.

Ambrose – it certainly is something that has been challenging over the years since the rental karts are big money-makers for the track. Not sure how practices will go yet this year; but, stay tuned and follow the NJ Karting facebook page and keep an eye on the njkaring.org website to get much-needed updates soon.

John Anderson
    Participant

Nicholson Speedway will be offering the LO206 class. They will be using WKA rules for now. If your using a 2 cycle frame/body than  you would follow the 2 cycle set up. You would be able to have your rear tires to not to exceed 55″, you would have to be on a 50mm axle, and a 2 cycle body kit. If your running a 4 cycle kart than your max rear tire width would be 50″, rear axle up to 40mm, with a regular 4 cycle body kit. They are trying to introduce the LO206 as a more economical class for new comers.  There will be a spec tire Bridgestone YHC front 4.5 x 5″ and the rears 7.10 x 5″.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

John, Don’t have a WKA rule book yet, what’s the weight and clutch for LO206? I’ll be down there this year for the Legends class but I can bring a second kart for LO206.

BTW, I don’t think they make the YHC anymore did you mean the YLC?

Gif

Gary Lawson
    Participant

Wka 206 375# and any shoe clutch

Mike Tancredi
    Participant

Any chance clones and L206 can compete together to get the class going?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I have 2 clones and one is on the kart ready to go so, on some level I like that idea. The problem is there are so many stock appearing modified clones out there that you would need a heavy tech inspection and I don’t see that happening anywhere save Englishtown maybe. Honestly I don’t think people will get into LO206 if they see money pit clones in it. I’m using mine for practice days at Millville.

Gif

John Anderson
    Participant

Walt,

Your right Bridgestone YLC. Weight 375 with any 9 spring 6 shoe max clutch.

John

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication