Home Forums Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing Briggs LO206 LO206 getting better or same engine as always?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dai Feng 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

William Weiler
    Participant

Usually engines get better but I wonder if it has stayed the same over the years.

TonyKart 401s LO206
    Morgan Hill, CA

Morgan Schuler
    Participant

The engines built today are exactly the same as the very first ones produced. That’s the entire point of the LO206 program…

Mike Clark
    Participant

The engines built today are exactly the same as the very first ones produced. That’s the entire point of the LO206 program…

That is what is nice about it. It is a great thing in that respect. It does not force you to upgrade. A real pain when you just bought in and then a mfgr drops a new upgrade right after you just shelled out money on an initial investment.

I find the LO206 pretty hassle free overall in terms of the overall package. For fun and entry level it is an obvious choice.

Aaron Hachmeister
    Participant

The LO206 program is a spec class that was introduced a couple years ago as an entry point into racing. There is no engine development, and all engines must be built and sealed by a B&S certified engine builder. The engine is the same now as it was when it came out and as of right now there are not any plans to upgrade it as far as I’m aware

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

One correction to Aaron’s post – it’s not a certified engine builder who builds and seals the LO206 – it’s the Briggs factory that does it, and does it only once before the engine goes out the door.  There’s no “re-sealing”.

Back to the question…

Reality #1 – as EXCELLENT a job as Briggs does in providing a level playing field, with GREAT rules, and tight manufacturing tolerances and specifications for every LO206 that goes out the door, there is always some possibility (however small) that some engines will be ever so slightly better or worse performers than others.  If you can acknowledge that fact, there is at least in theory, the possibility that there are some engines today that are faster than some engines built 5 years ago.

Reality #2 – even if you acknowledge Reality #1, unless you are paranoid or into conspiracies, there is no empirical evidence to suggest that any production batch has resulted in a better or worse engine than any other production batch, going back to the first engine produced.  The only people I hear suggest otherwise are those who are not winning – and while I hate to judge, I’d say they’re making excuses.  The guys who are winning have proven over and over with consistency that any (properly maintained) engine you stick on is capable of winning.

The LO206 is the best engine program ever introduced for kart racing.

Dai Feng
    Participant

One correction to Aaron’s post – it’s not a certified engine builder who builds and seals the LO206 – it’s the Briggs factory that does it, and does it only once before the engine goes out the door. There’s no “re-sealing”.  

What if the engine needs a rebuilt?  Would it have to go back to factory?

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Dai Feng.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication