Home Forums Chassis & Handling Lifting inside front tire

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Smith 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Gary Smith
    Participant

After viewing my on board video, I notice I am lifting the inside front tire off the ground, I run sprint tracks, it seems to be lifting from the middle off the corners.  Put the front bar in, made it worse, took the front bar out, widen the front, better, but still lifting wheel. Kart seems to understeer going in, loose off. On the sweeper turns, I have to lift, otherwise the kart will drift out off the track.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Only way to lift the front tire is from counter-steering or if your kart is bent. If your diagnosis is that there is snap-oversteer (understeer on entry turning to oversteer at apex) then this could be accurate. Front end plows, more steering input to compensate, once you’ve slowed down enough, all that steering input bites you and the rear kicks out.

The solution to snap-oversteer is to gain a bit more front grip on entry so you don’t have to put so much input in.

What’s your rear track width?

Gary Smith
    Participant

TJ, you are correct, the tire is lifting when counter-steering. The rear width was at 54.5 inches, increased it to 55 inches when I widened the front, it helped but did not eliminate it.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

TJ Koyen
    Participant

The only time I really see front tire lift is in shifters due to being too harsh on the throttle and powersliding the kart.

What condition are your tires in as well?

It sounds a bit like you don’t have enough front OR rear grip. I’d advise continuing to add front grip but the kart already sounds unstable in high-speed corners if you have to lift.

Could it be driving or tire related? Can you eliminate it through driving differently but still maintain your lap times?

Gary Smith
    Participant

TJ, I think it is driver related, I tend to mash the throttle coming out of the corners. I’m going to try to feather the throttle until the kart is in full control, then go full throttle.

Thanks for all your advice.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Paul Kish
    Participant

Rule #1:

Anytime you think, hear or see, push in loose out, look first for a fix from the driver.

The problem is likely to go away by magic.

paul

Frank Rapisarda
    Participant

Hi Gary I was wondering if you solved your problem with the front tire lifting? I have a crg with the same problem ( 08 road rebel cr125 ) that I just saw on a video of the last time out and noticed it keeps lifting the inside front tire. My turn in is fine kart turns on a dime but then gets very tight and hops real bad. After I saw the video I see it lifts the front tire at the apex about a 1/2 inch or so off the ground and I am not getting into the throttle hard at all at that point because of the hopping in the rear of the kart.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Frank,

Do you have a link to the video you mention?

Frank Rapisarda
    Participant

TJ sorry I do not. I have been fighting this kart for past whole season with a very tight condition. I can go around a turn at 25mph in neutral and the rear of the kart will hop. The only time the kart is half way good is if I try to blow the tires off it right from entre of a turn. I have spent hours & hours of testing and I just keep hitting a wall with this kart. I just got a super soft axle to try but I live in NJ so it will be another couple of months before the local track opens for the new year.

Gary Smith
    Participant

Frank,

Kart seems to handle better since my brain took charge of my right foot. I have also gone to shorter rear hubs, positive caster and change from neutral camber to slight negative camber. Kart is now a little loose in, not as much steering input to snap it loose on exit.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.