Home Forums Road Racing Let's Create a Large Laydown Grid at Daytona

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Santander 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Bruce Peck
    Participant

I’m going to start up something here for this year’s Daytona race similar to what I did last year when there was talk about a race at the COTA F1 track in Austin.  I’d like to see a very large grid for at least one laydown race.   These days if we get a grid of 20 karts we see that as big.   I’d like to see at least 30 karts and 40 would be better.

What I suggested doing for COTA, and we could do the same for Daytona, is pick one class that would likely be the easiest for the most folks to run in.  Pick the class and talk about it here and other forums that make sense.  Ask people to publicly commit to running the class starting now so we can start to get a feel for how many will be on the grid.  As the number grows, more interest will be generated and more will commit.  Some that haven’t run for a few years may dust off a frame and agree to come out.  A grid of 20 could swell to 30 and then to 40 or beyond.

I think this class should be a Yamaha class.  Even if you normally don’t run a Yamaha class, many drivers have a Yamaha on the shelf or can obtain one fairly easy to run this race (borrow one, rent it, etc.)   I think a pipe class would be best (probably Yamaha Medium) but others might suggest it be Sportsman.  I really don’t care – we just need to pick one.      I don’t normally run a Yamaha class but I have Yamaha engines and would bolt one on for this race even though I intend to also run other classes.

So there it is folks.  Anyone interested, please post your interest and commitment to such a class here.  If for some reason you don’t want your name out there, send me a private message here or email me at yamadog35@comcast.net    I will start compiling names and numbers.  If you know of drivers that wouldn’t be reading this forum, let them know about it and if they’re interested, let us know here.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Bruce,

I vote it to be a Piston Port laydown class rather it be medium or heavy.

Lindsay is coming and who wouldn’t want to run against her????? FAST, PRETTY!!!

THE MAN

John Crider
    Participant

Last Year We had a large group of Yamaha Sportsman Medium. However I’M game. I can put a pipe on My Yamaha and race against anything. In a large group there will be someone to draft with and that’s what makes Daytona fun. Anyone inbetween Kansas and FLA and need transportation PLMK. LETS GO TO DAYTONA!!!!!!!

Glen Cherry
    Participant

I’m not sure the plan for a large class but I can tell you that as of now the West Texas Outlaws Group will be putting 7 or 8 Laydown Yamaha karts on the grid in the medium and heavy classes. last year we ran the pipe class the can when the classes didn’t interfere with the other classes ran. I know almost all of us ran Yamaha hvy and Can med, I skipped out to do the dirt race but this year it will be road race time only. I know a few are running Tag situp karts and B stock so hopefully they will fall outside of the Yamaha classes and the rest of the country can match Texas entries on the grid!!!

WTO

Craig Dori
    Participant

Come on folks, Bruce stepped out here to try and make something special. Let’s see some more support!!!

We will enter any Yamaha class that is decided on by the group.

Just a thought here, nothing more, as I’m sure it will get shot out of the sky for something? But perhaps whichever class is decided upon, for those that might be interested, hand Bruce an extra $50-$75(?) and make it a $ race for those that want? In other words, for those that just want to race for the trophy, that’s cool too. But if you want to take your chances at a little $, pay in. Pay as far down the field as possible, not all at the top.

Again, just a thought to try and generate some interest, or get others to come up with other ideas. Would love to participate in a MASSIVE field!!

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Well, so far the response has been underwhelming.  Thanks John, Glen, and Craig.  I’ve had one other individual contact me directly by email (thanks!) and indicated he would prefer Sportsman over pipe.  Does anyone read this part of the forum any more?    At this point I plan to run my normal 100cc Pipe Heavy (Piston Port) class, but will still mount up a Yamaha if interest seems to pick up.  People have to speak up for this to work.

Anonymous

Hatcher Enduro will be at Daytona again this year. And as always we will be running most of the laydown classes available to run with a Yamaha. We are planning on bringing 4 karts.

gokartroger

Linda Baldus
    Participant

The plan is for Bernie and Pierce to be there. Both will probably be running the reed jets.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Kelly Read
      Participant

Bruce,

I don’t know what has happened with people not on here like it used to be. I do know a few that said they couldn’t get on EKN for some reason. I explained to them not put spaces between there username and passwords and they should be able to get on.

Since very few are here to speak for whatever reason and I am sure they will be at Daytona, looks like a Yamaha class is what I see is the best bet.  That’s fine with us as we are just coming to give Lindsay the DAYTONA experience. We have no Yamahas so that class is out for us. But I did just think of something (no comments), we might have someone we could borrow there kart and Yamahas for Daytona. Once we find out after seeing the updated rule book which I am waiting to get with her membership and what the schedule will be at Daytona, then we will decide what to run. As of now, depending on how many piston port classes are available that are where we don’t have to add a TON of lead to her kart (running K71 and possibly the Comer P51 if weight not to high) is her main class, Tag classes possibly and Control spec could possibly be a option IF, brother would loan her his stuff??????? Hell, I might be bringing the big trailer the way things are going!!!!!!LOL

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Kelly:  If Lindsay runs the PP Heavy class I can at least be a back-marker for her.  At my weight right now I would need two P-51’s to keep up.  :-)

Kelly Read
      Participant

Bruce,

That will be Lindsay racing not THE MAN so you have a chance!!!! LOL

Questions,

1) What is available in piston port classes for a K71 and Comer P51 to run in??

2) Per class, what is the weight for each motor above??

Glen Cherry
    Participant

Kelly I have plenty of Yamahas! how many do you want me to bring you?

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Kelly:  for laydowns there are just two classes – Med and Heavy – One runs on Sat, the other on Sun.  Below is from the WKA site.  The P-51 has to run 15 pounds heavier than the K-71.
    http://worldkarting.com/index.php/series/vega-tire-tsracing-road-racing-series/88-rr-series/200-laydown-rr-classes

312.7 100cc PIPE MEDIUM & HEAVY:
    DRIVER REQ: Age 16 & older, RR Class 3 license.
    ENGINE(S): ENGINE(S): Yamaha KT100 (only Yamaha heads with OEM casting “Yamaha” are legal), ARC Comer P-50, ARC Comer P-51, PRD-RK-100, Parilla PV-92, Komet K-71
    per Section 605, TKM BT82, PRC PP-100, DAP T-50, HPV 100, Komet Piston Valve.
    EXHAUST: Any fixed WKA approved pipe.
    FUEL: Spec Fuel.
    MINIMUM WEIGHTS-MEDIUM: Yamaha – 360 lbs., Piston Port – 385 lbs., and Comer P51 – 400 lbs.
    ∆MINIMUM WEIGHTS-HEAVY: Yamaha 380 lbs., Piston Port – 405 lbs., and Comer P51 – 420 lbs.

Jeff Estes
    Participant

I still remember my first Grand Nationals (IKF) at Ontario Motor Speedway CA in 1974.

There were over 100 karts in the race. (100cc Reed Open)

I’ll be running my 125 Shifter at Daytona. Don’t have enough time to get my laydown back in any kind of shape to run this year. It’s not from 1974 :) But will watch how this goes. Will definitely support next year.

Bruce Peck
    Participant

Jeff, thanks for the input.  I’m not optimistic about this year, but if folks like yourself make your interests known then maybe we can make it happen next year.  So far there have been precious few that have spoken up and most of them are the folks that would be there anyway making up a “normal” grid for Daytona.

Kelly Read
      Participant

Bruce,

Thanks. I got our 2014 rule book this past Friday.   With her LIGHT A$$, we will be running a K71 (THANX to RRR) in both the piston port classes. At least to start out with but we are bringing WKA legal Comer P-51’s just in case she wants to run it.  She will also be running the Sprint stock leopard classes also (guess she want’s to wear THE MAN out!!!!!! LOL

Glen,

No Yamaha’s here!!! We tend to blow them up EVERY TIME!!!!!!

David,

I can’t seem to find those times on WKA’s web site, am I blind????  LOL

Brandon Schenkel
    Participant

I’ll be there running B stock/unlimited and sportsman med, possibly pipe

can anyone give me a gear estimate for yamaha? havent ran a yamaha at daytona in 12 years

B Stock ............................

IC/E 250 rookie

Linda Baldus
    Participant

17×68 is a good starting place for the Yammies.

Keep on kartin'. llb
    Raymore, MO
    lindabaldus@hotmail.com

Brandon Schenkel
    Participant

thanks Linda. ill give it a whirl

B Stock ............................

IC/E 250 rookie

Jason Santander
    Participant

any of you laydown folks or know anyone running CRS icc motors?

i have a cutom 21 & 22t engine gears new unused made for Daytona.

santanderj@yahoo.com

Birel CR32SR Complete roller $2k
    set of new tires on wheels, extra set wheels, freeline large & small rad, tons of freeline components

TWO CRS ICC motors complete- rebuilt $3k
    Custom Pit Cart

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.