Home Forums TaG Leopard Won't Idle

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Steven Kay 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Steven Kay
    Participant

I can’t get my ’09 Leopard to idle.  It starts with a little hand choke and just screams.  I just checked the pulse path and reeds.  All were perfect.  Throttle is closed as normal.  Any thoughts?

Ric mcDade
    Participant

Air leak

TJ Koyen

+1 Yup, you’ve got an air leak somewhere.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Steven Kay
      Participant

Thanks guys.  I just had the carb off and the reed box out.  It doing the same thing before and after.  Any thoughts on other areas to check?  I seem to have good compression.  One more piece of information.  I had to pull the fuel line to get it to shut off.  Neither the ignition switch or the pulling the battery terminals would get it to shut off.  Probably ran a good 15 seconds after pulling the fuel line.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Sure sounds like an air leak, especially with the dieseling. It continued to run because that’s how long it took to empty the gas from the carb.  Guessing one of the carb gaskets, or the o-rings on the mixture screws might be bad.  Also, is the butterfly valve stuck open?  Try swapping out the carb and see if the problem continues.

Steven Kay
    Participant

OK, still cant seem to find the leak.  Could it be that I need to disassemble and soak the carb gaskets as I didn’t run this engine last season and this is the initial start-up?  “Trying to learn on the job”

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Put a rebuild kit in it, as it’s probably past due anyway.  You’ll need to order the mixture screw o-rings separately.

Tillotson Carburetor Rebuild Kit

Steven Kay
    Participant

Yeah, I just ordered a kit plus the packing’s and reed and intake manifold gaskets.  Thanks Jim

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.