Home Forums TaG leopard starts w/external, not w/ box

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Silverheels 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ric mcDade
    Participant

<div id=”d4p-bbp-quote-24049″>Help! My Leopard starts when I use the external starter, but not with the push button box. Worked fine last year, went to start it this year with a fresh, fully charged battery and it would not fire. New plug, and everything else you could think of. Even bought a new battery that cranks it 3 times faster than the usual batteries do. Even checked for spark, none. Put the external starter to it, and boom, fired right off. Replaced the push button box, and fired right off. tried again 10 minutes later and nothing. No spark again. External starter cranks it right off. Put a spare stator on, no spark using the box, fires off with external, tried another box, and it fired up, shut it off, and then it wouldnt start again. Are these stators bad and frying these boxes? Is there a way to check these stators to see if they are good before I fry another box? Boxes work for one start time, then they dont, spare used stator, box works and then it dont. HELP!</div>

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Ric, check the rotor magnets, I ‘ll bet they lost most of their magnetism. Just happened to me.

John Rawcliffe
    Participant

Jim, it’s my kart Ric is asking about. Are you talking about the center rotor that bolts to the crank? So when this goes bad does it burn up your powerpak or does it just not start until the rpm is higher as with an external starter?

John Rawcliffe
    Participant

I might add that with an led test light at the coil power lead I get a faint on/off signal during cranking with the battery. When I crank with the external starter I get a very strong on/off signal.

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

John, yes I’m talking about  the magnetic rotor on the crank, borrow one to try or put a screwdriver to the magnets to check magnetism, I bet that’s it. The external turns it over faster and will increase voltage so it starts occasionally. Happened to me, try it. chi wa wa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.