Home Forums TaG Leopard Self Rebuild Yes/No?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sean “Lawnmower” Swisz 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions on what to do before the start of this season. I have a MY07 Parilla Leopard that I picked up two years ago and it is time to rebuild it. The engine was purchased brand new from the original owner and then I bought it. It has never been rebuilt so most of the parts should still be alright. I was speaking with a local engine builder and he quoted me $580 for a rebuild with parts (piston, ring, bearings, gaskets, carb rebuild)and labor (if crank is not shadowed). I was getting ready to fork over the money and I know there are a lot of people that have a fresh engine every race… but I’m in my mid 20’s, work full time, and still paying for classes. I’m in a local Michigan club racing so nothing is really crazy for points and it’s just me and my father, but I’m the only one paying for track time, parts, etc. I am very good with small engines, car engines and electronics. I’ve read the .pdf rebuild manual a few times and was thinking of doing the rebuild myself and putting the $600 towards race fees and tires for this season.

What do you guys think? I know the crank has to be checked and make sure all the tolerances are good, but since this is the first rebuild and the engine was barley used I’m thinking it would be alright (stupid way to judge). The other thing is the clutch. I have a clutch puller, but I was told that I should have someone show me how to put one on a Leopard “since it’s easy to screw up”.

Thanks

tony zambos
    Participant

Sean,

First, be honest with yourself in assessing your engine building skills and the amount of time you have to do this.  Then think about the special tools you’ll need to purchase if don’t have them.  A short list of tools would be run out gauges, micrometers to measure cylinder size, v-blocks to check the crank, tools to press the crank apart and to put it back together, a pop-off gauge and a burette to measure cylinder volume.

If you decide not to do it yourself, contact other kart shops for prices and turnaround times. I would recommend L.A.D. Specialties in Bridgeview IL.  L.A.D. has been my engine builder for a very long time.  They’ve done everything 2-cycle I’ve owned.  See their web site for details on their services, http://www.ladspec.com/home.html. The only extra expense would be shipping. And if you want those special tools, L.A.D. can help you with that as well.

During the season you might want to rebuild the carb, which is mainly replacing the diaphragm and gaskets. This you should be able to do yourself with maybe a little help from a shop the first time.

Good Luck.

I’ve raced with them at MIS the past few years! They have quite the rig and group of racers that follow. I will for sure give them a call to see what it’s all about. I did rebuild the carb last year and for $30 will most likely do it again this year. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.