Home Forums TaG Leopard RPMs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  David Cole 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Valdis Sustko
    Participant

What RPMs should I run on original Leopard? The manual says not to exceed 15k but I have heard some run a lot higher.

tony zambos
    Participant

No longer running a Leopard.  Had the old push button type ignition.  14K is what we got out of it.

Greg Wright
    Participant

Depending upon the track we regularly will turn a Leopard in the low to mid 16s, Some tracks 17K is not out of the question.

tony zambos
    Participant

Greg,

Does it make a difference what cylinder you have on now a day?  We had two cylinders, one had ports that were WKA legal and another with TaG USA legal ports.  The engine turned more than 1K in RPM’s with the WKA cylinder at road race events.

Jim Derrig
    Participant

The original question is a bit ambiguous, because he could be asking what the redline is or he could be asking what max rpm gives the fastest time.  I’ll assume he’s looking for a redline.  It’s about 17,000, though you definitely don’t want to spend much time there.

At some tracks I hit 16,000 and a little bit more.  If I’m bumping up near the redline that’s definitely an indication that I want to look at gearing down, as I’m likely not spending enough time in the fat part of the power band.

Valdis Sustko
    Participant

Gents,

I guess what I was asking is the optimum RPMs that would give me best lap times without blowing the engine in 2 hours. I currently have a MY09 and change top end every 8 hours and bottom every 20.

For my MY09 at the track I tune for max RPM 16800, exhaust temp 960-1000, and water temp 135-140.

TJ Koyen
    Participant

Old style Leopard on a sprint track is usually around the same as a new style one. We run between 16,5-17k on most tracks on a MY09 Leopard and did about the same on the old ones. We bounce off the limiter a bit on the MY09 on a lot of tracks so revving it to 17k isn’t a big deal really. We usually do 10 hours between top ends.

Don’t be afraid to rev to 17k on an old style Leopard. Your rebuild times and temps sound good and consistent with what we do.

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Old style Leopard on a sprint track is usually around the same as a new style one. We run between 16,5-17k on most tracks on a MY09 Leopard and did about the same on the old ones. We bounce off the limiter a bit on the MY09 on a lot of tracks so revving it to 17k isn’t a big deal really. We usually do 10 hours between top ends. Don’t be afraid to rev to 17k on an old style Leopard. Your rebuild times and temps sound good and consistent with what we do.

TJ is right about everything except the part about our rebuild frequency.  Top ends are closer to 5 hours and bottom ends 10.

David Cole
    Keymaster

Valdis,

Per the EKN Forum Guidelines, please update your display name with your first and last name. Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.