Home Forums TaG leopard problem help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Michael perez 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael perez
    Participant

so over the weekend I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and rebuild the kart good idea no wrong my engine is sluggish and my water Temps went from 140 average to 160 and when it heats up it will go full throttle to no throttle and back in a secound. I am 80% sure I stacked my layers in the right order after following p1 step my step video have my needles set to stock leopard manual settings. The only thing I can see is my needle seals look a little warn dose anyone have an idea what this can be?

Michael Hartzfeld
    Participant

If you’re sure the carb is OK, check to make sure you’ve burped the water lines (temp), and that the throttle cable is adjusted correctly so that the butterfly is perfectly flat when at full throttle. (sluggish)

Jim Derrig
    Participant

My WAG is that the spring under the fulcrum is offset and the needle isn’t seating correctly.  Disassemble the carb and try again.  You don’t have to pull the carb off the motor to do this.

Sean Swisz
    Participant

I’m not sure if you mean you rebuilt the carb, engine or entire “kart” as you said. If it was just the carb, then gaskets are most likely the problem. Take it apart, watch the video step-by-step and pausing it to confirm the gaskets are in the correct order and orientation. The needle o-rings do crack and form an angle to them, so its a good idea to replace them also. Make sure the intake block is installed the right way. There is a hole on each reed/intake block and the carb that need to match up.

You said that the engine fires up to full throttle, idle, and back to full throttle again. If the engine is doing that, how does it get a chance to get to 160 deg? Double check your water lines are installed the right way and make sure the water pump bands have tension on them, so they don’t slip.

Tony Kart / Leopard

Michael perez
    Participant

Sean I meant carb not kart the gaskets are in the corect order and as for the throttle problem I’m driving the kart and when it reaches high rpm it dies for a secound and comes right back coolant system has not been touched and pump and water level are fine next to other leopards acceleration out of the corner is fine for the first 30 ft then it loses its get up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication