Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Leopard doesn't want to start, need advice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tyler Howard 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tyler Howard
    Participant

Hey guys, I have an MY07 LEopard that has been sitting in storage for a couple of years. It would start a couple of days ago with no problem. I will note that the time before last I fired it up and It revved really high and I immediately pulled the spark plug cap. Now its really hard to start it. I tried today and noticed gas leaking out the carb whenever I tried to start it. I tried taking the airbox off and placing my hand over the carb; It ran for about 4 seconds at an extremely high rev then shut off. Tried again, it ran for about 2 seconds at low rev then cut off. I know I need a carb rebuild and I plan on doing that tonight, do you guys think that will solve my problem ? Im worried it might be something more serious. Also noticed a wierd noise coming from the starter the last time I tried to start it. I’m still in the learning stage of 2 cycle engine tech so bear with me.

tony zambos
    Participant

Tyler,
    Start with a clean slate with fresh gas and oil, new fuel filter and rebuilding the carb. P1 has a good video on the carb, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpkK2v3jI74. Take note not to block the carb pulse port between the crankcase and carb by installing the carb gasket upside down.
    P1 also has a video on a starter rebuild, http://kart360.com/features/kart-360-tech-tip-presented-by-p1-engines. This is something that you’ll have to do on a routine basis. Learn how and keep a spare set of brushes with you.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Tyler Howard
    Participant

Hey Tony,
    Thanks for the fast response! I will be doing the rebuild in a couple of hours and will let you know how it goes.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

I would avoid pulling the plug wire with the engine running. If you need to stop a runaway engine put you hand over the carb. If that doesn’t work you have a serious air leak.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Tyler Howard
    Participant

Walt, thanks for the advice its helped alot. Tony, I rebuilt the carb now it wont start unless I choke it by placing my hand over the carb. Once it starts I have to keep my hand somewhat over the carb to keep it from reving to infinity. I tried adjusting the carb door and it appears to be closed all the way; same idling issue. If I hold my hand like halfway over the carb it idles . Starter seems to be okay. Any ideas ?

Greg Wright
    Participant

Does it still try to “rev high”? Good chance of an air leak, leopars have been known to spit out the crank seals on either side from time to time. They can’t be seen without removing the ignition rotor and/or clutch. An air leak would also cause what is going on.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

tony zambos
    Participant

+1 for an air leak

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Tyler Howard
    Participant

OKay, I talked with Jesus at P1 engines, he also said it sounds like an air leak. He told me to start with the gasket on the reed cage so Im going to look at that now. Greg, I will check the crank seals if thats not the issue, thanks for the advice ! Ill get back with you guys shortly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication