Home Forums General Karting Discussion leopard clutch lubrication

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Glen Mullins 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

baruch fishman
    Participant

Hi

just put a new clutch on my leopard and was wondering if i need to lubricate it in any way?

Thanks

tony zambos
    Participant

Coat the needle bearings with lithium grease.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Mark Reed
    Participant

It is important to pack the roller cage bearing in a good bearing grease, I like Mobil 1 synthetic grease. It is also important to  service that bearing before each practice or race day.

baruch fishman
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys!

Jim Derrig
    Participant

You do not need to re-grease the bearing often if at all.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was a good idea on the Rotax, but with the leopard, grease it when you install it and then you can pretty much forget it.  You might have random reasons for pulling the drum (e.g., changing the counter sprocket or inspecting the clutch itself).  At that point, throw some more grease on the bearing ’cause what the heck, it can’t hurt.  But in 4 years of running the Leopard I never regularly serviced that bearing, never saw a failure or anything close to one, and never met anyone who had a failure.  The Leopard’s weaknesses are elsewhere.

Glen Mullins
    Participant

I’ve had one fail and I’ve been told that I’m not alone. I service mine after every weekend now and have spares with me at the track.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication