Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Left Hand Starter Nuts

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Mulvihill 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gerald Revely
    Participant

We have left hand engines and are using two piece starter nuts similar to the old Horstman or GEM Products nuts. The nuts fit Yamaha KT100, Komet piston port, Comer P50/P51 and Parilla reed jet among others. However, this product is scarce since both suppliers quit making them years ago. What are you using and where are you getting the product? We are running out of them as they age and wear out or break. Thanks.

Jerry Revely

John Mulvihill
    Participant

A regular nut (or a longer coupling nut) with blue Loctite will work.  Make sure that it is tight enough and occasionally re-tighten.

Red Loctite can screw-up threads since it is supposed to be permanent.

I’ve been forced to use the bottom half of two piece starter nuts many times and given proper tightening and blue Loctite I haven’t had problems.

John

Gerald Revely
    Participant

Thanks for the tip John. I have heard of people doing that but I don’t trust that method. I just bought 3 more of the two piece nuts I wanted so we are set.

Jerry

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Unless the left hand nut tightens down on the end of the shaft it’s not doing anything more than a regular right hand starter nut.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Gerald Revely
    Participant

The left hand nut does tighten against the end of the crankshaft so it keeps the right hand threads on the bottom part from unscrewing. That is way more reliable than blue Loctite. Both work but I would rather trust in the method we use.

Jerry

John Mulvihill
    Participant

Blue Loctite and a left hand nut!!!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication