Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing KT-100 Gearing at Gopro Motorplex?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  John Wehrheim 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

Does anyone know where I should start out at MMX gearing wise? I’ll be running a KT100 4 hole can w/ WB3a carb. Just need a place to start. Thanks!

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

Got some advice at the track and ended up running 10/73 and 11/81. Thought I’d leave it here in case someone searches for the info.

Mark Sink
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Im new to karting, and have a KPV motor.  Similar to your KT100, and I live in Cary.  I also just met another newbie who lives in Raleigh, he got a KT100 too.  He and I want to go to the kart track at VIR soon, would you like to join us?  I went for the first time a few days ago, and it was a lot of fun… I was also the only person there, it was a Wednesday.  We would like to go on a Sat or Sun, maybe this weekend.  Ive been to MMX maybe 4 times.  VIR is smaller, so there is less time to relax and catch your breath.. it’s kinda brutal actually :) We’re just going for fun if you’d like to join us.

Mark

Jay
    Participant

My daughter runs Yamaha jr. at MMX and we run anywhere from a 10/75 when track track is bad to a 10/72 on a race day. it really depends on the rubber on the track and what  her rpm is that day I keep adjusting until the motor turns right around 14000 RPM’s her motor seems to run out over 14200. I think Jeremy is right a good number to start with is 10/73 or 11/80 – 11/81. obviously The more speed you can carry out of the turns the lower number gear you can run and the faster you will go, but if you bogg a KT100 down it takes a long time to get your rpm back.

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I’d like to race MMX this coming year….I’m up for some practice too. Any of you have a spare 4 hole can laying around? :) cheers, ~Ted (PS-found this while looking for gearing and pipe info, so thanks for posting!)

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

Ted,

Word on the street is that we’re going to a pipe next year. I haven’t heard anything official yet though. Perhaps a new tire as well. I may have a spare can lying around, though I think you can probably pick one up on ebay for cheap (that’s where I got mine).

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Ted,

Word on the street is that we’re going to a pipe next year. I haven’t heard anything official yet though. Perhaps a new tire as well. I may have a spare can lying around, though I think you can probably pick one up on ebay for cheap (that’s where I got mine).

That would be great. We have about 8-10 Yamaha Sr’s running the pipe in Georgia and would like to come up and race this year. GoPro is a fantastic track!

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I would much prefer a pipe…please keep me posted! Will it be the SR-Y pipe?
    ted@hamiltonhelmets.com Cheers, ~Ted

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Announcement has been made GoPro Motorplex will be adopting the Sr-Y pipe. We hope to have a bunch of us come race from Georgia. Looking forward to it.

patrick j slattery
    Participant

We found that the setup was similar to New Castle even though the track is not as long as New Castle

Jeremy Ellison
    Participant

We had 4 in the class at the last race, hope to get some of you guys to come up from Georgia next month! I think if we can get ~8 karts out to a few races, we’ll hit a tipping point where more we’ll get more people showing up regularly.

John Wehrheim
    Participant

Jeremy,
    I know many of us want to come up for to race from Georgia, it’s trying to get everyone up at the same time. Maybe we can communicate amongst the yamaha drivers through email. I will send you a private message with my email.
    Thanks
    John

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.