Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing kt 100, dry clutch and chain popping issues?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Silverheels 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Broque Ward
    Participant

Two times at the track I’ve had the chain pop off and ruin the chain and rear sprocket. Is this a usual occurence? Does it happen if rocks get caught or debris from going off the track?

also we had an issue with the dry clutch locking up the last time out.. It turned out to be the journal bearing on the sprocket broke apart and seized to to the crankshaft… Thus making the clutch useless.. We got the remaining copper off the crank, put the new sprocket and bearing on and ran it again for good while… Then the clutch locked up againabout 20-30 laps later…

is this the right lubricant. To use or a heavyweight lube is needed for this? I used trflow to lube the sprocket bearing

Tim Koyen
    Participant

Going off the track and getting debris in the chain is probably the most common cause for losing a chain and the subsequent damage.  If you go off, come in and clean it out right away if you can.  Also, make sure the chain isn’t loosening up by the motor sliding back.  If the clamps bottom out on the track, and you’re not using an engine stop, the motor can slide backwards easily and you lose the chain and never know why.

Triflow lube is fine for between sessions, but you really need something heavier on the bearing, especially if you’re running a 10T driver, as the bearing usually isn’t a roller or needle type.  I like to take it apart and lube the crank where the clutch sits with Triflow grease every day.  Then regular Triflow lube between sessions.  Don’t get nuts with the stuff though, since it has Teflon in it, you don’t want it flying all over the clutch discs.

Broque Ward
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll grease the crank hehe

John Cleveland
    Participant

Broque

I found a floating sprocket hub for the gear helped a lot. Also a good way to align the sprocket to clutch gear helps too. I was having similar issues years ago and went to a wildkart ( RLV makes them as well) floating hub and haven’t seen the problems i used too.  +1 on the tri-flow also,  getting that in the clutch drum bearing/bushing between sessions is a checklist item that shouldn’t be missed.

Jay
    Participant

What gears are you using? Is your spocket and chain to close to the track? If you are using say a 11/81  maybe try switching to a 10/74  there  close to the same ratio but you would have more ground clearance. Just a thought.

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

MOTORMOUNT SLIDING BACK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.