Home Forums 2-Cycle Racing Kt 100 clutch options

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Krueger 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tom Petalino

wondering what everyone thinks is the best 2 stroke clutch for senior pipe? Not thinking about ease of maintenance or cost. Just the fastest setup for the class. Runnng arount 340 lbs.  hortsmen, patriot, tomar? Two disk dry. Maybe there is not a measurable difference. Only driver setup. Thoughts?

David Cole

Who works on your engine? Typically, they suggest which clutch works best.

David Cole - eKartingNews.com Managing Editor -

We run 2 different types of clutches for super senior class (pipe)

Horstman 2 disc dry clutch HDC-5 ( Very crispy, but only lasts 1/2 a season)

Also L&T Mini light 2 disc dry clutch ( a little less responsive, but very durable)

And the big heavy guys at 390 to 410 Lbs run a 3 disc L&T Wet clutch, a little heavier to move, but very durable and tough.

What does your club rule say about what clutch to run?

I have 3 good L&T 3 disc wet clutches available if interested?

Tom Petalino

Thanks for the info. Been running hdc-5  for a few years. But thats it. Never ran any other clutch.  My builder recomends patriot  so ill go that route. Just wondering what the other guys were using and if they thought it made a difference over another type.

Walt Gifford

Patriot’s a good clutch.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Ian Krueger

I run the HDC-5cx, its a slightly revised version of the original 3 disc. I love it, Yeah Gary and all them on horstman pretty much dont make DXL parts anymore so unless you have a 30 year collection of parts, I would just stick with modern clutches like the L&T or the HDC. 3 disc for pipe class, 2 disc for can or junior class. 1 disc is just a bad idea

NHKA member, yamaha pipe sr

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication