Home Forums Autocross / Solo 2 kid helmets

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Schmidt 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

Do the kids that race karts have to use Snell rated helmets, like the adults do? I haven’t found a single company that Snell rates a “youth” helmet. Whats the deal?

Alan Sheidler
    Participant

Have not bought one in many years…

Seems to me that my kids heads were big enough to wear XS size adult helmets, but I am thinking from over a dozen years ago.  I’s ask in a general forum about it, and see what the W2W crowd is doing for the kids.  Not sure that kart racing org’s require Snell.

Eric Stevens
    Participant

The Snell specification for youth helmets is CMR2007 and there is also a SFI 24.1 (??) specification.

A youth sized helmet is smaller and lighter and better for reducing fatigue in the neck.

Vega Trak in youth sizes is CMR2007

Bell has a GP2 youth that meets both CMR and SFI

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

Thanks Eric. There will be a 2015 snell rating on the adult helmets. When is the next rating date for the youth helmets?

Scott Boito
    Participant

Bill, there is another Snell category labeled as K2010 that works for karting.  Again, Bell makes a few models in XXS for youth karters.

My guess is that the kart standards won’t update as frequently but they may eventually get into a groove once they see technologies trickling down from the highest levels.

Scott Boito
    Participant

And that 2015 rating won’t be out until maybe late this year, so actual helmets won’t be ready before then.

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

I saw an online vendor selling HJC helmets that had snell2015 ratings over the weekend. So they are out now.

Scott Boito
    Participant

Bill, M2015 maybe.  SA2015 not available until October, per the Snell folks: http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/2015/SA2015releaseNotes.pdf

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

True, but I cant imagine why anyone would want a SA helmet for karting. I don’t think anyone worries about getting burned up in a kart.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication