Home Forums General Karting Discussion Karts with Front Engines

This topic contains 14 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Roger Ruthhart 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

David Cole
    Keymaster

An article from Autosport.com came out on Monday, discussing a new kart and series promoted by British Touring Car Championship squad Team BMR. The operation has developed their own front-engined, front wheel kart to train drivers to race in the road racing cars series. For 2016, they are looking to create their own championship series with three classes, including one aboard their own front engine karts and a solid prize package.

What are your thoughts on a front-wheel drive kart?

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

johnny brooks
    Participant

Looks like a four stroke in the picture…with those fat front tires I bet torque-steer’s a bitch!

Long steering column and rearward placement of driver means a whole new engineering model for frame flex….I wonder if inside rear lift will be the norm?

“Grasshopper, you must achieve proper ‘male dog pissing’ posture to get thru apex faster!”  🙂

Patrick Roth
    Participant

Kudos to them for dreaming it up and making it a reality! On the other hand I see it as just another “karting” novelty like a kart with a 1300cc Hyabusa motor strapped to it, or 10,000 ft-lbs worth of electric motors, or 2 person karts, or 4 engines, or 6 wheels, or hoverkarts… 😉

Not sure what they accomplished that couldn’t have been done by taking the body off of a small FWD car? I guess by shrinking it down to a kart size, they are able to race with other non-FWD karts… Not sure I buy that it really is that good for training as lift-off oversteer seems minor in trying to learn to race a car with a relatively large amount of suspension travel and mass when compared to a kart.

TJ Koyen

AH KILL IT WITH FIRE

So hideous. Karting’s got the worst case of “can’t leave well-enough alone”. New engines, series, rules etc. pop up every week. And then we get this thing…

It has no purpose. If these guys think anyone is going to move “up” from traditional karts to this jalopy, I would venture to guess they are wrong.

Driver/Coach/Wrench : Innovative Performance/Exprit
    Owner : Oktane Visual - www.oktanevisual.com
    www.facebook.com/oktanevisual
    www.instagram.com/oktanevisual

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Ug the heat.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Kelly Read
    Participant

BIG CREDIT goes out to these guys for there thoughts & engineering!!!!

The down falls I see here are:

1) Heat off the motor.

2) You hit something up front and you could ruin more then the kart (motor pkg.) let alone having the motor in your lap.

3) Steering. Unless they have the weight distribution right, better have strong arms.

4) Arrow. Going to catch some major drag. May not be bad on a sprint track??

Here in KART land, we have made some REAR engine “laydown” animal karts in the road race division that have done real well. The main object was to give the driver more compartment space especially those that are wide up in the shoulder area since the animal motor is much wider then most motors we currently race.

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

I like their construction/engineering ideas.  Proof is in performance.

It’s very easy to poo-poo anything different.  Anyone can do that.  It takes independent confidence to try new ideas.

Maybe they’re training drivers for the new Nissan LMP1 car, set to race at Le Mans in a couple of weeks.  Quite similar dynamics.

Brian Mead
    Participant

This isn’t new. fwd stuff was tried awhile back, rummage around the vintage sites.
    Can I assume they at least hacked the rear axle in half, put on 2 more bearings and another brake on? Must be a shifter of some sort, don’t see any chain, and given the length of the steering column and all that wt up front, how’s about a bigger steering wheel? There’s a purpose for this I’m sure, though I’m at a loss as to what it is. Everyone else up to this point that moved from karts to cars seemed to do really swell, why go through all that? Is that grumpy guy that made solo karts over there still in the business? Betcha he could weld up some standard beauties at much less cost. Betcha.

michael smith
    Participant

Mark Lockett
    Participant

NO!! Just no!!

James Frantz
    Participant

Just what karting doesn’t need! Another class. Not to mention the expense.

Alan Sheidler
    Participant

Nice photo, Michael.

Looks like double wishbone independent suspensions, front and rear.  That kart must be heavy, and a complicated one to setup too.

Tim Pappas
    Participant

I am amazed and frankly disappointed that the karting world and for that matter, the whole racing world finds innovation so distasteful. Racing has become a completely boring “oneness, sameness, gotta just have what everyone haveness”. Creativity is not only frowned upon, it’s been mostly legislated out of racing. I am not saying this fwd kart is a good idea, time will tell. But I find the creativity refreshing.

Okay, you guys can close this thread now and go back to your green kart and on single make engine racing.

Greg Wright
    Participant

I agree Mr. Tappas but this thing is a bit over the top and can’t be considered a kart with that front suspension.

Greg Wright
    Rapid Racing Inc.

"When in doubt Gas it, It won't help but it ends the suspense."

Roger Ruthhart
    Participant

It probably has better traction in the snow than rear wheel drive!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication