--> Karting – eKartingNews

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Cole 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Dallton
    Participant

Hello, I am looking to get into the sport of karting. I am 15 years old. I would like to know anything about the sport at all. I don’t even know any brands that make karts haha. I was riding in a car when we past a track of people racing. I then saw that and I instantly wanted to do it.

Besides just saying tell me about it I also have a few questions. I am a big guy probably around 245 pounds. I can see those karts are pretty small so would i even be good at considering I weigh so much? Also I am tall around6 foot 1. Not sure if that is a problem either. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Jim Derrig
    Participant

Dalton, asking for “anything about karting” is a bit like asking for “anything about football.”  The question is so broad that a 10,000 word answer still wouldn’t be complete.  You might try going to amazon.com and looking for books on karting, like “Karting, everything you need to know” by memo gidley.

To answer your specific question, yes, a 6’1 245 pound person can fit in a kart, though you wouldn’t want to be any bigger than that.  And you can have plenty of fun.  I know people your size who race karts.  However, you will almost undoubtedly will not win races or even be particularly competitive, as the ideal kart racer is about 5’6″ 145 lbs, much like a Formula One racer.  In fact, F1 racers use karts to train and practice in the off season.  I tell all the big guys, “remember those little guys in high school that we used to push around on the football field?  Well, this sport is their revenge.”

David Cole
    Keymaster

Hi Dallton,

Head to http://www.midstatekartclub.com/ for a taste of local karting in your area. Margay Racing is in the St. Louis area for a local shop, and the members there are great people.

David Cole - EKN Managing Editor

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.