Home Forums General Karting Discussion Karting Donations for Orphange

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian Bacon 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Connor McIntyre
    Participant

CYDC Motorsports is a STEM (Science Technology Engineering & Math) program at Carolina Youth Development Center in Charleston South Carolina.  We currently have a First Kart with a new 125 Rotax Max engine that we are using to teach kids about STEM.  For the last two years we have successfully mentored 70 youth at CYDC (the oldest Orphanage in the USA).  This program was first started by Cummins Engine Company who built the auto lab and furnished it with tools.  Since than we have built 4 endurance race cars (teaching the kids: welding, paint and body, engine and transmission repair, suspension and brake set up exc).  The kids range from 9 to 18 with a 50/50 ratio of girls to boys.  Cummins recently hired one of the graduates of our program.

We are now moving into Karts to allow the kids to “feel” the Science Technology Engineering and Math.  We believe that the Kart is the perfect teaching tool due to its maintenance requirements and adjustments.  What we are looking for is help from the Karting community: Expertise, wisdom (Lessons Learned) – books/magazines the kids and we can read, gear (old helmets/ suits/gloves/boots), tires, wheels – anything you can think off.  We are a 501-C3 Non-Profit (Federal Tax ID # <span class=”st”>57-0711211) we can provide tax donation recites for any and all donations no mater how big or small.  I talked to Mike Burrell from Burrell Racing and he suggested that I make a post on ekartingnews.  I am the operations leader for the program (Connor McIntyre – phone number 843-614-2307) and I work for Cummins as a Six Sigma Master Black Belt (Stats Nerd).  We currently have a team of 5 volunteers, including on child social worker.  Thank you all for our time and consideration (check out pictures of the shop, program and the kart below on our facebook page).
    </span>

Most Warmly,

Connor McIntyre

Sebastian Bacon
    Participant

Great cause! Wish your program was closer to me. I’d love to help out. Best of luck!

Mike Burrell
    Participant

Karting Industry:

Connor is a friend & co-worker of a karting friend of mine here in Indy. I spent about an hour today talking to him about this program, it’s legit and a great cause! You don’t have to be in South Carolina to help them out, they need good used equipment: suits, helmets, gloves, karting tools, parts, etc.

Also, if you had an interest, I’m sure he’d be happy to help you setup a similar program in your area. I can’t think of a better way to spread one’s knowledge and love a sport than to eager deserving kids!

Thanks,

Mike Burrell

National Karting Alliance

(former National Kart News editor)

Sebastian Bacon
    Participant

If anybody in Southern California gets something like this going, please contact me. I would love to be a part of it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication