Home Forums General Karting Discussion Karters Ready for Red Bull Flugtag

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Koster 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

David Cole
    Keymaster

This Saturday, September 21, a group of kart racers is set to represent the sport on a new and different stage, the Red Bull Flugtag in Dallas, TX. Flugtag, which means “flying day”, challenges teams to build gliders which are launched from a 30 ft platform into a lake using only human power and piloted by one brave individual. The winning craft is determined not only by flying distance, but also in categories ranging from showmanship to fan favorite.

The Viva Knievels, made up of karters Mike Jones, Chuck Garfrarar, Chris Koster, and John Dixon along with Bob Smith, will debut their Evel Knievel-inspired Skycycle X-3 at the Dallas event. The Viva Knievels were selected from hundreds of applicants as one of thirty teams to participate. Friends and Fans have been following the team’s progress on facebook facebook.com/thevivaknievels, Twitter (@thevivaknievels), and the official Red Bull Flugtag site.

After many hours of building, squeezed in between races, the Skycycle is nearly ready to take flight. Team members attired in red, white, & blue jumpsuits with capes, white boots, and chest hair will appear on the Flugtag ramp on Saturday afternoon. If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, come down to watch the flights on Saturday. Hangars open to the public at 11am and flights begin at 1pm. You can also watch the livestream of the event online at the official Red Bull Flugtag site. Be sure to vote, beginning September 19th, for The Viva Knievels to win the People’s Choice Award at http://win.gs/teams

James McMahon
    Participant

Love it!

Yaani-Mai Gaddy
    Participant

This should be FUN! I’m going! :)

Jon Romenesko
    Participant

Thats super awesome.  Fllugtag looks like a fun event!  They were supposed to hold one in Denver a few years back, but it got cancelled for whatever reason.  I’ve wanted to go watch pretty bad ever since.

Brian Mead
    Participant

Be advised that sobriety is optional at the Flugtags.  With good reason.  Have fun and please fly responseably.

Chris Beebe
    Participant

I went to one a number of years ago in Portland Or. and it was a blast! Lots of people and lots of fun to watch! Good luck out there! Sounds like a kick in the pants!

Peter Zambos
    Participant

I keep meaning to go to the Chicago Flutag, as it’s only minutes away, but I’ve got a charity softball game that requires my presence so that I can be adequately embarrassed.

Chris Koster
    Participant

If you come to the event, be sure to stop by the hangar on Saturday morning to say “Hi”.  We’re expecting to have a blast!

Voting has started for the People’s Choice award.  You can vote for us on our official page, The Viva Knievels  or by texting DFW30 to 72855.  You can vote 10 times each way.  See the complete terms and conditions at http://win.gs/terms

Clarann Gafrarar
    Participant

Come on Karters – there still time to vote for The Viva Knievels!  Check them out – and vote.  :-) Quick head to the site…Thanks!

Chris Koster
    Participant

Well guys it was the epic crash you would expect from an Evel Knievel inspired craft. The Skycycle morphed into a human catapult by the end of the ramp. Click below to watch the video. Looking for volunteers for next years Red Bull Flug Tag.

http://bcove.me/0fmtm0vk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.