Home Forums Rotax Max Kart weight with Rotax senior?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Kozakowski 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jeff Muzzin
    Participant

Hi , I’.m 6′ 1″ and 220lbs, I believe that will put me in masters class is it 405lbs or 385 lbs? I’m wondering how extreme of a diet I’ll need… how much does a tony kart,no front brakes weigh ?

Daniel White
    Participant

A kart with a Rotax motor is about 165-ish, sans fuel. Masters minimum is 405, and that’s what you should aim for if you are over 30 years old. Keep in mind that your safety gear will add about 10# to your overall weight, and each gallon of fuel is an additional 8#.

At your current weight you should be close to the class minimum.

Oliver Kell
    Participant

Daniel, I’m wondering where you’re getting this 165 number?
    I posted almost the same question in general discussion and the number I was given was 200lbs to be a good start.
    My chassis is crg 32/32 with 25mm spindles and I’ll end up running a plastic rear bumper, but I can’t see it adding up to 35lbs, even if you’re using old style bodywork.

Finch Guenther
    Participant

I just scaled my blackstar with a kpv and it was about 160lbs. I’m not sure how much a rotax package weights but I wouldnt think it could be 40lbs heavier. But I maybe wrong

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Jeff, the weights seem to change for the Masters classes, depending on where you race.  Generally, if you can get to 200 lbs, you won’t be giving up too much.  180-190 lbs range is probably ideal where you likely won’t have to add (too much) lead to the kart.

200 lbs might be on the heavy side for the kart, but with any amount of fuel in the kart when you come over the scales, it won’t be too far off.  190 lbs might be more realistic for the kart.  Add in driver gear, and 200 lbs of “non-driver-body” weight is close.

The battery you run can make at least a 2lbs difference on its own.

Joe Bowen
    Participant

I have the same issue 6’3″ and 240lbs. I was about 50-60lbs over minimum weight. I’m also new to this and this previous weekend was my first race! I know I need a diet plan to drop my personal weight. I have an older chassis CRG Heron Plus and it weighed in at 183lbs without driver

Daniel White
    Participant

Daniel, I’m wondering where you’re getting this 165 number?
    I posted almost the same question in general discussion and the number I was given was 200lbs to be a good start.
    My chassis is crg 32/32 with 25mm spindles and I’ll end up running a plastic rear bumper, but I can’t see it adding up to 35lbs, even if you’re using old style bodywork.

I have to admit that even though I’ve had my karts scaled and balanced. I can’t recall the weight of an empty kart, and am just using some rudimentary math.

My first kart was a Sodi-Rotax, and the tubes were all 32mm and the stub axles were 25mm. I weighed 185 with gear. To come across the scales at 365, which is Rotax Sr weight, I had to add 5 lbs of lead to the kart, plus I usually ran with about a gallon of fuel (8 lbs). 365-185-5-8= 167, which is 159 without fuel.

Now I’m in Tonykart-Yamaha, and the minimum weight is 360. I have to add 15 lbs lead to my 187 (I’ve gained a bit of weight), and run with a half-gallon of fuel (about 4 lbs). 360-187-15-4=154. I concluded that a Tonykart with a Yamaha (spec pipe) weighs about 150 without fuel.

Perhaps I’m a bit off in my calculation, but it seems pretty close.

Rob Kozakowski
    Participant

Last year for me… 388 across the scale at my lightest.  I weighed 193 then.  That means 195 allocated to kart (30mm Italkart Rapido V, 25mm stub axles, Mychron 4 with GPS, the heavier battery), fuel in the tank and H2O cooling in the rad, and driving gear (helmet, suit, gloves, shoes, Rictect 3).

I have no clue what the driver gear and fluids weigh, but personally, I include it in the weight of the kart (i.e. not the weight of the driver – me in socks, shorts and a t-shirt).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.