Home Forums Road Racing KART MARRS @ Lake Afton May 3rd & 4th

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Linda Baldus 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Hope to see everyone @ Lake Afton.  Hopefully it will be warmer than Hallett and if we can keep “The Man” from talking about the “r” word, perhaps we will see the karting bears come out of hibernation.

We are going to try and take the two race-ready Emmicks with us so anyone looking for a change or to get started, these might be just for you.  These are the ones we intended to have at the swap meet. One Animal and one Yammie.  Check out the Baldus’ pits.

Brad Johnson
    Participant

I recently sent an email the contact address on the KART site but haven’t gotten a reply as of yet so thought I’d ask here. Does KART offer a place for a Stock Honda to race or would it be combined with mods and ICC/KZ? Have thought about visiting the nationals at Heartland Park if there is a spot. Thanks.

Kelly Read
    Participant

Linda,

There will be a small vendor fee!!!   LOL

Brad,

As of now, a 125 stock honda runs in the SPRINT 125 SHIFTER class. This is all 125 sprint shifters. FYI, we currently have a few stock hondas that run in this class and WIN.

As for the KART road race nationals October 3-5, 2014 @ HPT. Being one who puts that schedule together, if there is enough interest in ANY particular class that KART does not offer and someone asks to add it, we normally add them as long as we don’t get into having to add to many races to the daily schedule.  We currently have room in our current schedule that we can add some classes to those races and not cut practice time which we don’t like to do.

As for a SPRINT STOCK HONDA class at HPT. I have had a few people request it (Chris Hegar as 1). The feedback that I have been getting is that adding this class would allow those racers who run a stock honda to be able to run both classes if the schedule allowes to split them into different races which gives them a place to run twice a day, this I can do!!!! I do ask that if we do add classes, that those who ask for a class, to help get class sponsors which is a must for me to add classes. All classes run for the same awards as what the normal KART classes do so this is why sponsors are needed.

Anyone can look at our current schedule we use for our series and get a pretty good idea on how the HPT schedule would be. From it, we work with adding classes to those current races if possible. Also, we normally have 1 -2 races at the end of Friday practice for certain local option classes. Usually are 1 – 30 & 1 –  45 minute race.

Everyone can expect a post here on EKN around June – July asking if there are any classes racers would like to see added at our nationals @ HPT. I would expect at least a minimum of 6 per class and a class sponsor ($200,00) before adding any classes.

KART may not be the largest but, KART does everything possible to give the racer a place to run COMPETITVE. PLUS, KART has some of the toughest competition!!!!!!

mark waller
    Participant

So if we have a sponsor for Sprint Stock Honda 125 at Topeka, what would the weight be?   385 lbs?   And what rules would apply to the engine?  Not sure if you’ve thought about that Kelly, but I’d consider sponsoring the class.

Mark

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Thanks for the response Kelly. I’ll be watching for info and making some tentative plans. Maybe I can roust up a few Texas guys to come along. Maybe we can edge Mark’s weight up just a bit…..395-400??? ;)

Kelly Read
    Participant

Mark & Brad,

As for engine rules. I would look at other organizations to determine the engine rules for our event so we don’t have racers making a bunch of changes. You have some suggestions???   I would hope STOCK is STOCK!!!! This includes ignition!!!!

As for the weight, give me some feedback.  I know there are more heavier then light drivers who probably run this class.

Come to some KART/MARRS events and see just how you match up. Afton is just around the corner.

mark waller
    Participant

Ok Brad, I’m good with 395 lbs.  Prefer to not go any higher though.  On a road course I doubt a guy would be handicapped even running at 405 lbs.  Hope is to get some additional guys who run Stock Honda sprint stuff to come out and see how fun a road course is with a stock moto.  Many (like us) have 30 mm frames, run mostly sprint, and try to avoid too much extra weight on the frames.  My driver is 160 lbs and the more weight we add the sooner I’ll have to see the chiropractor.  Re rules it should be stock.  Stock ignition, piston, one of the two approved carbs, pumparounds,

etc.  Pipe should be somewhat open?  Let’s get the word out that we can make this class happen.  Like Chris Hegar had requested some time back, it would be nice to have scheduling so a racer can run both stock honda and modified if he wants.  At any rate Kelly, I’m good for the sponsorship for Topeka’s stock honda class.

Mark

Kelly Read
    Participant

The lake Afton entry form and event schedule is now on the KART web site (http://www.kart.org).

With the new interest of racers going to be running the control motors in our area, the 100cc Open & A-Limited classes should be awesome to watch at Afton.

Hope to all you big time racers May 3/4, 2014.

THE MAN

Kelly Read
    Participant

Brad’s ready to go!!!  Took some work to make it as easy as possible to change from the Reed Jet to the Comer considering we only have 1 hour to change over.

Lindsay’s new kart with a K71 on it all ready to go. Adding 60 lbs. to make the 390 weight was a little tough!! I sure hope the testing we will be doing with the K71 in the Piston Port class pays off as I dread adding 20 more pounds if we put the comer on it. Now it’s time to work on her other kart!!!!!!

Got the Animal all ready for Jackie to run!!

Kelly Read
    Participant

3 karts loaded (Brad’s, Lindsay’s 2) in the MT POCKETS trailer!!!! Come on Jim!!!!!!!

2 others loaded in another trailer!!!

Kids are pumped and ready to get on the track!!!

FYI,

Animal racers will be happy that I am not running!! Someone has to be the RD & main flagman!!!  Be ware, I know how to use the BLACK flag!!  LOL  AND, I do have a replacement driver for “THE MAN machine……..

Linda,

Shannon has some GREAT stuff for your APPLE PIE!!! Only problem, you may not get out of bed!!!!!!!

THE MAN

Kelly Read
    Participant

FY!,

If you are coming from the north and plan to take the 235 enterchange around to Kellogg (hwy 54/400), the road between zoo blvd. & central will be closed 5/2 & 5/3 as they will be installing a section of overhead bridge where they are making a new interchange. I would recommend at the 235/135 interchange to go south on 135 to Kellogg (54/400) and go west.

Any questions, give me a call at 316-218-3645 (C).

THE MAN

Kelly Read
    Participant

LET THE WEEKEND BEGIN!!!!!!

Preparation to get the track ready begins tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See everyone at 07:30 saturday at the drivers meeting. DON’T BE LATE!!!!

FYI!!!!!

If you need anything delivered to Afton from RUSSELLS KARTING SPECIALTIES, be sure to get a hold of Jamie before noon on Friday so she can bring it.

THE MAN

Christopher Ragan
    Participant

Let’s haul some hay!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

Just looked at the Weather Channel (Online, can’t get a decent idea of weather on TV anymore!) and it looks like you had better bring your shorts! It sounds like it will be HOT, which will sure be a welcome change from what we here in KC have experienced lately.

See ya all!

Linda Baldus
    Participant

101 degrees in Wichita on May 4th. Who would have ever believed it! I told everyone to bring shorts and they needed them. “The Man” (both of them) really delivered on the weather.
    Turn-out was a little lighter than we would have liked to see but until things turn around economically we may have to get used to a few fewer entries.
    As usual the Read bunch, Maysha, etc. did a great job of putting on this event so the rest of us could have fun. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.