Home Forums General Karting Discussion Ital Master Cylinder Leaking

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

John Baker
    Participant

Hello, I have a Margay kart with an Ital Braking system. Whenever I push the brake peddle, fluid leaks from the master cylinder plug.  I’m not sure if rebuilding the master cylinder will fix the problem or not, or if the plug or even the whole master cylinder went bad.  Any help is appreciated.

tony zambos
    Participant

John,
    If my memory severs my right, there should be a metal washer under the bleeder plug. The washer could be missing. If that’s not the case, try a rubber O-ring. Carefully make sure there is no debris trapped under the bleed screw.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

John Baker
    Participant

Thanks Tony, there is a washer, but I’ll definitely try the O-ring.  I forgot to mention, but the screw never sits tight, so I’m thinking it could be stripped threads, not sure if it is the plug or if it is the threads on the actual master cylinder.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Do NOT use an O-ring under the plug. It is not designed for an O-ring and may not hold the pressure. You can’t tighten the plug down properly with an O-ring and it could vibrate loose. Anyone who is doing this is living on borrowed time.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

John Baker
    Participant

Guess I won’t try the O ring… considering it won’t tighten, is there the possibility that the master cylinder is toast, or could I fix it somehow?

Walt Gifford
    Participant

The only thing you could do is go up in size and make a new plug. 12mm?

Dan Brown
    Participant

John, that plug should screw in tight, and has a copper sealing washer underneath it. Look at the threads on the plug and see if they look stripped, hopefully its the plug and not the master cylinder.

Dan

John Baker
    Participant

I’ll take a look when I get home, but if the screw is not stripped, then my options are to get a slightly bigger plug and drill it out or buy a new master cylinder?

John Baker
    Participant

I checked the threads on the plug and they seemed ok, but they were definitely stripped on the master cylinder.  So what are my options now?  I really appreciate all the help.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

http://www.accelerationkarting.com/rrmastercylinder.aspx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication