Home Forums General Karting Discussion Is there such thing as a Kart Hitch Hauler?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gary Smith 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Like there are for motorcycles? These are pretty cheap ($200) and can hold plenty of wt compared to a Kart. Was just thinking it would be so much easier than setting up my portable foldable trailer or taking the hubs and nerf bars off to put in back of the SUV. If nothing is available, I am sure it could be modified pretty easily with ply wood

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rage-Powersports/AMC6002.html

Vincent Tam
    Participant

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Yep, although that is way more than what the motorcycle carriers cost and other hitch haulers. The kart is under 200 lbs, so it isn’t like it has to be a huge deal

Vincent Tam
    Participant

the inside track to the outside track is 32 inches. its about 24 inches too narrow. the motorcycle ones would probably hold up fine once modified.

Scott Newton
    Participant

I shopped these for a while and just recently gave up and bought a folding Harbor Freight 4×8 trailer.  I have a large enclosed trailer/toy hauler for long trips, but for just quick trips to the local track that was mega overkill.  I just wanted something small & light that didn’t take up much room for storage to use on short trips – which is why a hitch carrier would’ve been perfect, but pre-made ones were way overpriced IMHO, and I’ve got too many projects to take on building my own right now.

I had this same HF trailer a few years ago with my formula 500 car (about 600#, 55″ wide, ~9′ long), and it worked great.  It only takes up about a 5′ x 2′ area in the shed for storage once folded, and has proven to be easily capable of handling the load for several years of service – all for about $230 out the door if you find the right coupon.

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

Ya. I already have a trailer like that, just wanted something quick and easy. Getting the trailer from my sideyard to the street and setting it up can be a little bit of a pain

I shopped these for a while and just recently gave up and bought a folding Harbor Freight 4×8 trailer. I have a large enclosed trailer/toy hauler for long trips, but for just quick trips to the local track that was mega overkill. I just wanted something small & light that didn’t take up much room for storage to use on short trips – which is why a hitch carrier would’ve been perfect, but pre-made ones were way overpriced IMHO, and I’ve got too many projects to take on building my own right now.

I had this same HF trailer a few years ago with my formula 500 car (about 600#, 55″ wide, ~9′ long), and it worked great. It only takes up about a 5′ x 2′ area in the shed for storage once folded, and has proven to be easily capable of handling the load for several years of service – all for about $230 out the door if you find the right coupon.

Paul Hir
    Participant

I have seen the same setup as pictured, problem is for me is that a car is to low to the ground so the setup does not work.  If you use a truck or SUV why not just put it inside.

William Martin
    Participant

The idea of being in front of a cell-phone happy suv driver makes me shudder!

Rod Hawkins
    Participant

I have seen the same setup as pictured, problem is for me is that a car is to low to the ground so the setup does not work. If you use a truck or SUV why not just put it inside.

I don’t like having to take off the wheels and the Nerf bars to put it inside also it takes up a lot of storage space so if I need to bring a lot of tools or other equipment.

russ Jolly
    Participant

I have seen a stand up kart hauler but wouldnt for the life of me know where to buy one.

Gary Smith
    Participant

Before I bought my trailer, I had a camper on my pickup, I wanted to take the kart out with the camper on the truck, so I made this kart carrier that would double as a porch for the camper. Just plug it into the receiver hitch, load the kart on the platform, strap it down, and away you go. I no longer have the camper. I would like to sell this carrier, if you are interested pm me.

Gary

#55 Honda CR80

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.