Home Forums Shifter Karts Info and opinion on PTK cr80 Kart buy

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  shaun s noll 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum and to karting. I’m looking to buy a PTK in like new condition 2007 with an CR80 on it. It’s has been kind of hard to find info about these PTK’s. Some mention they have a Tony Kart/ PTK, some CRG/PTK, the guy I may be buying it from sold and race karts for 12 years and he said it’s made by an Italian factory that make Karts for many other brands like Energy.

It has gauges that show temp and engaged gear, it comes with a vertical and a regular stand plus a top end spare kit and a few more extras, he’s asking 2500. I raced dirt and sport bikes for over 8 years. I’m not planning on racing karts, just to have fun at the track.

What do you guys think about the PTK chassis, CR80 or 125? (I heard 125cc can be way too much for someone starting, even an 80cc may be. LOL). Also what do you think about the price?.

I’ll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to.

Thank you all for your help!!

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

general viewbottom

Brian Degulis
    Participant

I have a PTK and it’s a decent chassis. The CR80 is a good ride but they aren’t very popular. Around here you wouldn’t be able to find a race but for track days no problem. The price seems a little high for a CR80 kart. My opinion is based on average condition with out front brakes. If it’s very clean and well maintained it’s probably a good deal. If it has front brakes better yet with them if you decide to go up to a 125 in the future you can with that chassis.

Brian

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Here in the SF Bay area a kart like that sells for ~$1,500 – 1,800.  If you can and have the mechanical skills, remove the cylinder and rock the rod from the small end and measure the movement.  Verify that it’s within the CR80 manual limits to check bottom end health.  I’m comfortable purchasing used engines only after verifying the condition, or, plan and budget to rebuild the engine before puting the kart on the track.  Belts and braces…

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thanks to both of you for you help and inputs.

I ended up buying it for 2400, but besides the kart being in perfect condition (it was only used for two track days), the engine top end being just re-done with zero hs. the guy gave me a brand new axle, two extra seats, another set of tires with magnesium rims, 3 brake pads kits and the best part, a box full of OEM Honda parts in sealed boxes and bags, with pistons, rings, pins, gaskets, three new chains, like 12 new sprockets, throttle cables, and all the fluids he was using, everything is good enough to re-do the top end at least three times with $0!.

The kart also has a Mychron 3 and he gave me a receiver with a stand to check my lap times (The kart has a sensor on the nose cone). It also has a lil display where it shows how many hs you have ran on the engine. It has been safety pinned throughout and also safety wired.

I hope it’s at least a decent deal. The only thing is that he doesn’t remember what year the engine is. It looks super clean, is there any way to find out what years is it with the engine #?

I’ve been trying to post pics but I can’t figure out how. Sorry.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

It’s probably a good deal. Paying a little more for something that’s in exceptionaly good condition is always a better deal than paying less for something that’s beat up.

Brian

Greg Lindahl
    Participant

Congrat’s, enjoy!

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Thanks again Guys!

I  was thinking of getting  a second engine ( I found out is a 1999 engine and it was built by K R engines in Sacramento) same year, same CR, I was pleased to know that all the gears where upgraded.

I’m wonder what’s the best place, online or local (I live in San Jose, CA) to buy an engine with all gears upgraded and ready to go. or should I wait because I may want a 125 in the near future? What do you say?.

Also any recommendation on the best online sites to buy parts?.

Thank you all again and sorry for all the newbie questions…..

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Wait You’ll probably want to go 125.

Brian

Larry Andrews
    Participant

Since you’re in SJ, you may want to check out Monterey Bay Karters – there’s a small group of 80 shifters and all are good guys that race clean.  Doesn’t sound like you’ll run out of engine bits, but parts for the CRG made PTKs can be a bit hard to find.  Eric at SeventhGear.com will have a lot of the obsolete CRG stuff.  Cambrian in SJ has good selection but mostly Birel and Fastech has a lot too and goes to the MBK races.

Have fun!

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi Larry, thanks for the info. I’ll definitively check it out, I’m not ready to race with anybody at the moment, but I’m sure I can learn a lot from those guys (if they make room for a newbie like me).

Regarding the CRG/ PTK thing, I’m still trying to figure that one out. As I explained at the beginning of this topic, some people claim they have a tony kart/PTK, some say a CRG/PTK. The guy I bought it from told me it is not a CRG, just a pure PTK made by an Italian factory (he told me the name, But I don’t remember) that makes karts for many other brands, like Energy, etc.

He also mentioned that many of these PTK parts are interchangeable with other karts, at a difference of CRG that sometimes you can’t use nothing but CRG parts, and He used the example of a 45mm axle. BS?. I don’t know.

Thanks again!

Tim Pappas
    Participant

If it is truly a 2007, then it was built by Tonykart.

1999-2001 PTK’s were built by Mike Wilson.  They were either blue or clear powdercoat and had Brembo brakes.  Not sure on the components, but probably SKM.

2002-2004 PTK’s were built by CRG. They were metalic silver.  The early ones had Brembo brakes and the later ones had CRG brakes.  All other components were CRG. The frames were different design than the CRG model line.

2005-2008 PTK’s were built by Tonykart.  They were red and used all TK components.  The frames were the same as the TK line.

I see the years misrepresented on PTK’s all the time based on the seller trying to make it sound newer, but with the limited number of years of production from each manufacturer, its pretty easy to narrow it down.  It sounds like you might have a first generation kart.  I wouldn’t worry about any of them.  All the manufacturers did a  great job producing PTK chassis and you should still be able to find parts with the above info.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi Tim,

You must be one of the very few people who knows this!!! thanks!!. On the other hand, like you mentioned before, I think the seller misrepresented it!, what I guy… The frame is metallic silver so I’m guessing is older than what I thought. I finally figure out how to post pics and I will right after this.

Thanks again Tim. I have another question, do this karts came originally with a torsion/ stabilizing bar or it a personal add on?. It has marks like it had one in the past.

Regarding parts, can I use any CRG parts or it has to be CRG/PTK?. It may be a dummy question, but I’m trying to figure out all this brand, fitment, mm’s thing.

Thank you so much for clarifying this!!

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

PTK Go kart

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Pics are up!! .

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Tim Pappas
    Participant

That is an early CRG built kart with Brembo brakes.  You can use any of the same era CRG parts for it and Brembo parts are still available.  That is the Monterey model which was a 30mm frame.  You don’t need or want the rear torsion bar.  They are useless on a sprint kart.  You got a great deal. Enjoy.

Jimmy McNeil
    Participant

I have some front end parts for that chassis if your interested in some back up stuff. Spindles, wheels, hubs etc. Ill sell it all cheap. All my chassis have front brakes so the stuff is just sitting in my shop.

Sebastian Sarmiento
    Participant

Hi Jimmy,

I just send you my email, could you please send me pics of what you have and tell me how much you want for them?.

Thanks!

shaun s noll
    Participant

looks like great deal!  cr80 shifters are tons of fun.   the infineon cr80 class is a little drive for you but seems to be gaining steam.  I believe musgrave racing in socal has PTK stuff?  all my other stuff I either get from Cameron karting or Fastech (Jon is good guy and I’ve bought tons of stuff from him and he has always answered any reasonable questions I have had).  I believe Jon from fastech is in monterey so he is in your area.  If you need an extra motor or something I have tons of everything for cr80s as I now race a rotax.

<span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>Eric from 7th gear is great and if you call most any kart shop they will likely walk you through how to figure out whatever parts you may need or they can put you in touch with someone who does.  karting is a small community :)</span>

<span style=”line-height: 1.5em;”>hope you have fun!</span>

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.