Home Forums General Karting Discussion iKart: MADE IN USA!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 44 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Ewers 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Mike Myers
    Participant

Have run Rotax and Rok and the OTK mounts work fine.

Mike

jim molnar
    Participant

i dont know about hitting the wall, but if the kart is winning, then it will sell.

no racer is going to be left behind when things change. if you think your winning because you out spend the other guy, ..then you are, because …your winning.

and thats the real point here for me. if you do what everyone else is doing , its a crap shoot on who wins. if your tweaking and tuning and making the investment in RD to revolutionize the design of karts, and win…this is what it takes.

sure ikart if they wanted to can trust some foreign manufacturer with thier designs and  make it for cheap, but that inst the program here. John Martin is on a mission to win.

and he is doing it.

making a 1000 hubs at $2 and selling for $55 a piece is for the staus quo companies not rocking the boat. this is the guy putting 16-20 hour days growing the business and watching his quality like a hawk. Being able to produce a prototype part in a hour and race it next day or same day. cant do that with big batches of parts from oversees shops. and what happens when the big guys start pushing their  orders to delay his stuff.

remember the story of tucker and how the game is played.

the time for fat catting will come when they have to lease his design to remain competitive…because real racers will gravitate to winning every time. That is the huge payday to shoot for. IBM makes more suing for patent infringement than they do actually selling their wares.

the trick is surviving the time to get there. your point was well taken, but just rubbed me the wrong way.I dont think it is the time for them to be thinking about the mas production, its about getting the technology to a higher level, and THEN the mass production means to a end can be addressed.

American made still means something VERY special to some of us. Don’t be disappointing in a company that is making the product their way and guarding their design and innovation very tight to the vest.

Mike Myers
    Participant

Kart is great, John is great to work with. AJ will be running Rok senior this coming weekend at Orlando, won last time by over 10 seconds, and hopefully will repeat.

Kart has really good corner off or exit speed.

Mike

Keith Bridgeman
    Participant

Having been a huge Trackmagic Supporter I hope this works for iKart.  They really need to Market themselves well.   Its amazes me how badley this is missed.  You need to also put some damn good drivers in the seat that can win.  That was Trackmagics success point,  great drivers that stuck around more then a year.  Drivers that helped build the success.  I hope they get on the national circuit also.   I’m kind of amazed that at a race like the Supernats there wasn’t even one Margay.   Would be interesting if they built a shifter kart.

Josh Buttafoco
    Participant

Josh,

Have you taken a look at the link above? Here it is again. Also if you have specific questions or want additional information let me know, maybe I can help. Shoot me a PM or email. JDMotorsportsNY@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509888222452468.1073741827.114850838622877&type=1

John

Perfect! Thank you!

Nik Goodfellow
    Participant

I think John is alluding to a mass produced product. As this is still a product in its infancy (at least it looks that way) then it is effectively a prototype shop and in house machining of parts probably will be cheaper. Although if he’s putting in 20 hours days he must be paying himself very little to make it cheaper.

There’s no need to automatically assume foreign built means crappy, the iphone is built in China after all.

And there’s no point in buying American because its American, buy it because its good, thats the only way the US manufacturing industry will rebuild itself.

Maybe John and I view it differently because we aren’t American.

Anyway good luck to iKart.

John DaCosta
    Participant

Nik,

There is much truth to your point and I will agree with you that one can’t assume foreign built equates to a crappy product. iPhone is a great example. The issue with that is Apple invested countless amounts of money making sure that their “factories” were up to standards for their product line. The average manufacture in America would be bankrupt just trying to source the right factory over seas. Then to boot add the cost of shipping the items because it costs the same price to ship an empty sea box as it does a 40′ sea container packed with items…. that just raises the break even minimum quantity into the thousands of dollars. Then there’s storage…. and list goes on and on.

There’s a lot of pride involved I’m sure that makes iKart do what they do, I think sometimes that driving force alone will move mountains. That said the products regardless of where they’re made need to sell right? And in this industry that means WIN races right? Time will tell but lets at least recognize that they have entered the market by storm with a unique and technically advanced product in an industry sector that has always struggled to find a way into America’s mainstream spot light.

It will be interesting to see what the next few years bring.

Welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy the show…

John

Greg Wright
    Participant

Obviously I hope for the best for iKart and other US manufacturers (Example Margay) to rise to the forefront of the sport both here and elsewhere.

The iKart has already been proven in National competition with Jesus Rios in Man Cup and an ikart was on the pole for this years Robopong 200.

One thing that will have to be overcome is the amazingly popular view by many that they won’t buy anything American made. I have heard this sentiment over and over whether we are talking about karts, motorcycles or automobiles. I despise this sentiment but it is a stumbling block for success.

Keith Bridgeman
    Participant

I agree Greg,   for some reason even if the American made TAG kart or Shifter kart was $1000 cheaper they still wouldn’t by it. 

Trackmagic broke through that wall for a period.  

One thing that might be holding people back is that other then Margay they all seem to not make it.  iKart needs to stay in it and strong for a good long period and build that trust.  Also if people sense its a small mom and pop shop that doesn’t intice people.  The stability of Tony Kart, CRG, Birel means something.    Thats what I can think of as a barrier.

Charles Kaneb
    Participant

There are HUGE advantages to a supply chain that’s 50 feet long.

Let’s say the assembler notices that the hub he just tried to put on doesn’t fit.

iKart model: Stop work, walk over to the machinist, check the part out with the gauge the machinist made to check these parts, find that when he changed tools the new one’s offset was different, machinist throws part in rework bin, changes the offset, next few parts get checked carefully. Total time lost: 30 man-minutes plus the time the machinist needs to find the problem.

Chinitalian model: Stop work, go to the parts bin with the calipers, find that the next 157 hubs are the same way, call the boss over, show him the problem, waste time with general-purpose measuring equipment to find out what the problem actually is, divert the machinist from her work to look at a part she normally doesn’t make, build a fixture to rework the parts, call the supplier to tell them the parts are wrong, exchange photos and emails until it makes it to the shop floor at the factory, they find they’ve made 900 parts the wrong way. Total time lost: 30 man-hours plus having to eat the rework costs because it’s too expensive to ship ‘em back to the factory!

Next scenario: Jimmy Hotshoe notices that the more he moves the front hubs in at the East Overshoe GP, the better the thing handles. By race time they’re all the way in and he’s on the podium.

iKart model: First thing Monday morning is a quick meeting to discuss a new short-shank spindle. The guy who did the calculations and drawings on the last one is there, same for who made it, same for the boss who’ll determine whether it’s worth it. They both make the engineering and manufacturability improvements on the new drawing that they wanted in the old one anyway while making it shorter.  Jimmy picks up the prototypes Wednesday night. Thursday morning it’s worth a tenth or so back-to-back at East Overshoe. Monday morning it’s on the website as an upgrade and option.

Chinitalian model: “Well, we’ll see if what worked at East Overshoe works at Brick City next week.” If it does, they’ll call a job shop and get ten specials made up for the “factory” drivers. Maybe next year they’ll go on the production karts?

Vertically-integrated GM (postwar): enough market share to nearly get broken up by the antitrust laws, ability to reshape what went on the roads and railways of the world at will, a well-deserved reputation for durable equipment that worked even when the manufacturing, assembly, and maintenance were all sloppy.

Outsourced GM: 30 years of X-cars, Dexcool, Northstars, decline, bankruptcy, public ownership and maybe a rebirth?

Nik Goodfellow
    Participant

Ha if you think GM needed buying out because of outsourcing then you really don’t understand the auto industry.

GM had (has?) a tremendous union contract that meant when sales dropped they couldn’t cut their overheads. Shutting down a factory didn’t mean they could lay off workers and they could hardly stop pensions.

Couple that with years of shoddy product (trucks are still on ladder frames with leaf spring suspension, huge panel gaps and steering seemingly not attached to the front wheels for crying out loud) and the rise of a superior products coming from across the world and they were bound to fail.

Ford on the other hand started bringing their vastly superior products from Europe (Focus, Fiesta, Fusion (Mondeo in Europe)) and sold off there more lucrative brands.

Anyway iKart doesn’t fit any of these models, its a prototype shop, more like a Roush or Shelby.

Wade Wishneski
    Participant

As a potential newbie to karting, let me give you my perspective on the iKart. The kart itself is really great, craftsmanship is great, no issues with the unit itself. I’ve seen it in action and yes it is good. I have no doubt about the quality or its ability to be excellent. I’ve resourced as much as I could about ikart, reviewed pictures on Facebook and other pics that the dealers have sent to me etc etc. I spoken with the few dealers that represent iKart currently and they have been nothing short of wonderful, they have provided me with much information and after speaking with them, have convinced me to consider iKart as a very viable option.

With that being said my only concern is/was that they are new, most parts are made in-house, and the dealer newtwork. Well they are currently working on the parts supply side of things and an online catalog, so the ambiguity surrounding iKart is progressively getting better but the entity is in a push (infancy) mode right now and there are only so many hours in a day to accomplish a big task of putting yourself on the map so to speak. They are working on the media/marketing side of things and again they are pushing forward so I think those in the karting community have to be patient. Two of the dealers I have spoken with are located in my area and race the track(s) I would consider running so I no longer have any issues regarding support and quite frankly iKart appears to be working on the dealer network aspect as well, but again only so much time in the day and quite frankly the two dealers I spoke with offered lots of suggestions, were not forceful & I feel actually iKart made a good decision in associating with those dealers.
    Bottom-line is they are new but they also appear to be approaching it in a manner that will bode well for them. They are located in an area already filled with many in the racing industry (various motorsport venues) and the fact that they are a vendor/supplier in the racing community assures me they understand a racers perspective. Granted only time will tell if they succeed but I will tell you they have left an impression on me to give them consideration in my decision making process of purchasing a kart!

Just some thoughts.

WW

Mike Myers
    Participant

AJ won again on an Ikart this past weekend at Orlando running Rok Senior.  Going to Daytona this coming weekend and there will be a number of Ikarts in different classes, Should be interesting and fun.

Mike

Ambrose Buldo
    Participant

Looking forward to hearing the results…  Just ordered an iKart, looking forward to running one with either KPV/4 or Rotax Max Power in the Spring…

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Do they have an extended front porch option?

Gif

John DaCosta
    Participant

Walt, Currently there isn’t a specific “extended front porch” option but there is a bit of forward adjustment that can be had on the standard chassis.

For those that are curious or would like to see additional pictures of the chassis’ design features follow my link below.

Ikart

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Is a shifter chassis on the horizon?

Brian

John DaCosta
    Participant

Brian,

Yes there is a shifter chassis available. Here’s a quick pic of it setup with a spec Honda and iKarts paddle shifter.

iKart Shifter

Tracey Stegemoller
    Participant

iKart just finished 1 – 2 in the latest round of the Florida Winter Tour in Ocala. AJ Meyers finished 1st with Mike Giessen just behind him in 2nd. Pretty cool to see 2 Americans on an American made chassis on top of the podium. Congrats!

Jason Ewers
    Participant

USA!USA!USA!

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.