Home Forums General Karting Discussion iKart: MADE IN USA!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 44 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Ewers 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Mike Burrell
    Participant

I was down on Gasoline Alley in Indianapolis the other day, and decided to stop in the iKART factory ~sadly, it almost sounds weird saying “factory” when talking about an American made sprint kart.  Anyway, the place was flat out busy!!!

John Martin, owner, politely said he had no time to talk because they were way behind on backorders!  This was very exciting to hear for a small, but growing, American kart manufacturer.

John did point out how fast the kart is: winning pole at Robo Pong and having success in WKA, USPKS, and other local series ~especially in the TAG classes. He also said they will be putting a lot of focus in 2014 into their lower-powered chassis development.

We see numerous rants on here about “where are the US karting manufacturers?” They’re out there: iKART, Margay, Ultimate Kart (also in Indy area), Coyote, and I’m sure there’s more. While these guys may not have the glamour or advertising budgets of the big European brands, they are producing great products right here in the US of A!

Rob Howden
    Keymaster

I totally agree, Mike.  There is some really nice stuff being built in the US right now.  And it’s performing well.  I raced a Margay 4.11 this year in Ontario, and it’s a great kart with incredible finish.  It turned alot of heads.  I think it they had a dealer in the area, it would do very well.

That said, we’re going to start working on some editorial to put the US builders in the spotlight.  I’ve spoken with John Martin for iKart on a number of occasions and I’m excited to learn more about his approach to the chassis design and his plans for 2014 and beyond.  We’ll be using the ‘off-season’ to roll out lots of cool and interesting editorial like this.

Stewart Willis
    Participant

Looks like they only have a full size kart.  Their adjustability  looks awesome.  Cadet??

John DaCosta
    Participant

It’s great to see and hear that racers are actually taking a look at the US manufactures and realizing that there’s quality in them. I will say that dealing with John Martin from iKart has been a real eye opener for me on what the karting industry is lacking. Not only is he focused on building the best products the USA has to offer but he clearly has the big picture in mind.

To answer the Cadet question, John has said to me that he’s working on rolling out his Cadet line in February. Based on everything seen so far coming out of his shop there shouldn’t be any doubt that it will be a top notch piece of equipment when it hits the ground.

My sole opinion, iKart is doing what Americans should be doing in every industry… Making it here and better! We will see more of them on the track in 2014 that’s for certain.

-John

Mike Myers
    Participant

We have one and have had very good success with it.

Mike

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Looked at the pics of the chassis, those seat holder/easy adjustors look great.

John DaCosta
    Participant

The kart has proven itself in a short amount of time this year that’s for sure. I’ve been fortunate to have several pictures sent to me by John Martin which gives a feeling for the inner makings of the iKart. After seeing what goes into designing and building his chassis I’m not sure that many other kart manufactures are up to this level of quality. He definitely sets the bar pretty high.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509888222452468.1073741827.114850838622877&type=1

Jim Silverheels
    Participant

Look at the amount of machining work, hrs of it. The time just to make the assembly jigs is enormous. The tig welding by hand is great. After ya git that baby together then ya gotta market it, have track side support, get a site together, and prove the kart is a winner. Wish I had that kind of cerebral matter. I’m sure everyone wishes ya the very best !

Jim Maxson
    Participant

Nice work.

John DaCosta
    Participant

Jim, thank you for the kind words. You are 100% correct about the effort and commitment required to putting this all together. This creation has been something in the making for several years now. Much of what you speak of has been perfected and tested over time, now it’s time to prove it, market it, and support it.

What the public needs to see and understand is that the iKart is every bit as engineered as the well known karts on the market today, some may argue that they already surpassed them. One thing is certain, they’ve arrived and they mean business!

-John

John Savage
    Participant

It looks like a good product but only results on track will determine its competitiveness.

I clicked on the pictures link above and was disappointed to see that they are wasting time and money machining their own hubs. It is a fact that you can buy hubs made in Italy or China for less than the cost of the raw material as a result of government subsidy in both of those counties.

I hope that iKart do not lose sight of the fact that they are running a business and not creating a work of art. They need to focus there resources on the design, support and marketing of their products and then they will succeed – I wish them well in 2014 and look forward to seeing the American karting fraternity getting behind them and pushing them forward to the top step of the podium.

jim molnar
    Participant

wasting time and money making it in the USA?

I think that that flag on the side means all of the kart was made here from the aluminum to the tubing. How can you be disappointed in a company willing to invest the extra mile?

why not just have the whole thing sourced from the cheapest place possible? i heard they have great welders in the prisons of south east asia. maybe some toddlers in africa are willing to work for $1 a day to load the machines….?

sir i think your missing the point.

If anything that kinda commitment to me as a consumer means i should be willing to support that company and pay the extra bucks to put Americans to work and know your quality is the best it can be.

I find it repulsive of companies to resell Chinese manufactured items as “assembled in the USA” and put the red white and blue on their products. When in reality they sourced from the cheapest place possible and hell the consumer is an idiot, we will sell them any thing and not be held accountable.

I wish them them the best of luck in 2014 and hope to soon join them in victory circle.

if your in it to make a fortune, karting isn’t the place to do it. If your in it to win at all costs and bring victory to your brand and let the others in the industry eat your dust….

then ikart is your gladiator to bet on…

Brad Nyman
    Participant

The point of making all of the components in house is to keep quality in check and insure that all off the components are up to par. Also the point of it being cheaper if made in china or italy is a little off. iKart is one of if not the cheapest tag chassis available today. I have been using the chassis in the North east for the past 4 months and love it. So far its proven its worth with 2 poles, a win and a second. Almost had another win if a stupid chain had not blown off.  In my first race ever with it, I was 3rd with little prior testing. Next year is looking very bright and hope to see more wins by iKart.

I know first hand the quality of the kart and its capabilities. The adjustability  is insane and ease of tuning makes it one of the best chassis I’ve driven and worked on.

CJ Lintner
    Participant

All,

Really glad to see the outpouring of support of our movement and what we are working towards accomplishing. I truly believe that there is more to running a business that your passionate about than maximizing the bottom line (although this is obviously an important piece of the puzzle) and that is why I have been involved with John Martin since the beginning. We personally craft every piece of the chassis in our factory not simply to perfect what we genuinely view as a work of art but because of the age old mantra “if you want something done right, do it yourself”. In doing so we are able to maximize the speed, longevity, and craftsmanship of each individual product while at the same time minimizing the price to the consumer.

After what we consider to have been a very successful year in 2013 we are moving forward with energy and anticipation for 2014 and are excited to see the iKart family grow. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or insights please feel free to contact any of our dealers nationwide or me directly at 317-502-9239 or ikartindy@gmail.com for dealer referrals and additional information.

John Savage
    Participant

The point of making all of the components in house is to keep quality in check and insure that all off the components are up to par. Also the point of it being cheaper if made in china or italy is a little off. iKart is one of if not the cheapest tag chassis available today. I have been using the chassis in the North east for the past 4 months and love it. So far its proven its worth with 2 poles, a win and a second. Almost had another win if a stupid chain had not blown off. In my first race ever with it, I was 3rd with little prior testing. Next year is looking very bright and hope to see more wins by iKart. I know first hand the quality of the kart and its capabilities. The adjustability is insane and ease of tuning makes it one of the best chassis I’ve driven and worked on.

Brad, there is not a car company in the world that does not sub-contract parts manufacture and they do it because its good business. iKart do not make chains, seats etc and given your experience perhaps they should, but I would think even they believe that it would be a step too far.  The quality of parts can be controlled by inspection, if required they can be made to an iKart design and if the cost is less and the quality is the same or better then please explain to me how that does not benefit iKart and ultimately there customers?

John Savage
    Participant

wasting time and money making it in the USA? I think that that flag on the side means all of the kart was made here from the aluminum to the tubing. How can you be disappointed in a company willing to invest the extra mile? why not just have the whole thing sourced from the cheapest place possible? i heard they have great welders in the prisons of south east asia. maybe some toddlers in africa are willing to work for $1 a day to load the machines….? sir i think your missing the point.

Jim, as long as all their potential customers think like you then great, personally I would be happy to see an American chassis manufacturer stay in the market and compete with the European imports long term.

Daryle Redlin
    Participant

As a manufacturer myself I can tell you that its a fools game to think that you can make the same product in China and then just sell it in the Western world and no harm no foul. Governments that subsidize production costs to gain market share are simply cheating the system. I think people need to wake up and find out where the products they are buying come from. Personally I wont shop at Walmart for example. Everything in the store is cheap, and usually from China. People get sucked in and buy cheap products that they think are the same, there not. All this is doing is pushing the quality of items down and hurting the average worker. We need a strong manufacturing base to support an economy. Companies like Ikart should be supported and given a chance to succeed. The more companies that are allowed to grow and prosper the better the industry becomes and that will foster better products and lower prices as they compete. Thats the way the system is supposed to work in my opinion. The current system of manufacturing goods overseas is terrible. If the companies overseas had to meet the same EPA regs as US companies do as well as the working conditions then I wouldnt have a problem with it, but they don’t yet they are allowed to sell those goods into the marketplace. Its wrong and it should be stopped. I figure the government isnt going to stop it so the only way I can have an effect is to not buy products from companies that have products made overseas but try to sell them as US or North American made. Thats my rant for the day.

Brad Nyman
    Participant

ikart does make all the components on so that they know that they are up to specs. Making the parts over seas is an option, but that is not what they want. iKart wants to be an american made kart, not american assembled, so they make it all. Also they don’s want to have the issue CRG had with their supplier of ceramic rotors stopped making them for a while and they had a shortage. It took some people months to receive their parts. As they said “if you want something done right, Do it yourself”, so that is what they do. ikart is always coming up with new solutions so that also makes it harder to spec parts made overseas if you design something new every few months.

If i break something, i know i can get it. there is no part shortages due to outside suppliers. The karts are still cheaper than all other brands and parts are significantly less than all others. Why ship orders overseas when it can be done in house and perfected for the same if not close to the same price?

Peter Zambos
    Participant

Regardless of why you think iKart should make their own components, the head of iKart already was a racing component manufacturer making parts for Indy Car, USAC, etc., so the equipment and skill set were probably already well inlace to CNC a couple of small kart components.

John DaCosta
    Participant

Well this is turning into a debate rather than highlighting the simple fact that there’s a company in the US that is actually manufacturing a competitive kart chassis for similar costs found in its competitors if not less.

Mr.Savage, my I ask why you would think it’s better for companies to outsource their products if they can make it themselves for the same cost? I’ve always thought that a good business model is one that provides a way to become more productive with the same investment amount… that said would iKart become more attractive to you if it made all its components in say China, or Pakistan and sold it to you at the same price…. I’m certain many people would feel ripped off at that point.

On the other hand this company took a risk in tooling up and manufacturing not one or two but hundreds of various components at a time bringing cost down, no? Yes labor costs more in the US but that’s also the point, how will we ever change the unemployment crisis in our country….move to china? lol.

Here’s the bottom line, iKart makes their own hubs, spindles, sprockets hubs, floor pans, bumpers, the list goes on and you probably get the point….oh yeah and seats too!!! All this and they found a way to keep it affordable in comparison to the “others”.
    At the end of the day people will buy a product for many reasons, flashy colors, made in the USA, it’s FAST, or because they have no choice. Well now there’s one more choice in karting. Oh and btw I doubt anyone ever buys something saying, GREAT! It’s made in China let me get two!

Take a minute to review the product as a whole and compare price, quality, service and most of all performance; after all it is a performance item. iKart has certainly caught the eye of many because of its downright ability to WIN RACES!!! They have done what many are still trying to accomplish right out of the gate.

I say, help the Americans and stop feeding someone you can’t even meet, call or email!

John

Josh Buttafoco
    Participant

Are there any more detailed pics of the kart floating around? I am curious to see some of the components and what they did with the frame. The pics on ikart and worldracing are pretty general.

John DaCosta
    Participant

Josh,

Have you taken a look at the link above? Here it is again. Also if you have specific questions or want additional information let me know, maybe I can help. Shoot me a PM or email. JDMotorsportsNY@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.509888222452468.1073741827.114850838622877&type=1

John

Ambrose Buldo
    Participant

John – As an iKart Dealer I figured you would know this.

What is the size of the frame tubes.  I thought it was all 32mm, but saw as a caption is said 28/30.  Just trying to understand what motor mount for Rotax is needed.

What axle stiffness is availaible/recommended?

John Savage
    Participant

Mr.Savage, my I ask why you would think it’s better for companies to outsource their products if they can make it themselves for the same cost?

I certainly do not, but as I said in many cases American manufacturers  are trying to complete against overseas manufacturers who have government subsidy and tax breaks which enable them to sell completed parts at less than the cost of the raw materials.

My original post was in support of iKart because in terms of design ideas I like what I see, I just don’t want another karting company to go to the wall because of poor business thinking – if they can do it all GREAT its now up to you all to support them!

John DaCosta
    Participant

Ambrose,

The chassis is 28/30mm tubing and almost any 30mm motor mount will work well. Look at the Odenthal 5* or 10* mounts.

As far as axle, the kart comes standard for TaG setup with a T1 swift axle which is a medium hardness axle.

John

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.