Home Forums Shifter Karts " I THINK ITS TOO BIG"

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ted Hamilton 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

marc walsh
    Participant

Ok Im dying to make this work 06 trx450..electric start…..50hp. ….around 80-83 lbs.  Ive seen them on the web so its gata work. However it looks like its a bit of center of the rails ( no engine mount of course) . Im sure if I remove the seat it will fit but thats another topic. Any ideas??  Im sure and can make a mount but being off center has to stress the frame (32mm) and handling.

Brian Degulis
    Participant

It’s big but it’s not to big. I’ve done 2 karts with CRF 450′s Same engine I think? one the first one I centered it on the frame rails so the seat had to come way over. After trying a few times I realized that the best way was to move the seat left and angle the seat slightly toward center in the front. The seat also had to be a little higher than normal.

On the second kart I made up a mount to move the engine further to the right off center on the rails. I moved the sprocket in between the right and center bearing. This allowed the seat to be in the normal position but it throws the side to side weight distribution off. So now you have to much weight on the right rear which I thought would really screw up handling. It effected it but not near as much as I thought it would. The kart turned left nicely but pushed just a little turning right because the weight of the engine didn’t allow it to jack as well. Widening the front on the right side only and adding a notch of castor took care of it. Now it turns the same in both directions and handles well.

Another thing you want to do is mount your throttle cable close to the pivot point on the pedal. You want lots of throw on the pedal for more precise throttle control. My engine is around 60 HP. That kind of power with the torque of a 4 stroke can lighten even lift the front end on hard acceleration and you need to be able to control it.

Big radiator they make a lot of heat. If it’s available for your engine the Rekluse Core EXP auto clutch is money well spent. With that you won’t stall if you spin and you don’t risk turning the engine backward.

I’ll post some pics if I can figure out how to do it on this new improved forum format.

Have fun with that thing but be carefull it’s bruttaly fast and really more power than a sprint kart should have.

Brian

Chris Reinhardt
    Participant

Too big? Naaaah!

Depends on what you want to do???  On a sprint track it won’t beat a good 125 in the same chassis, but they’re a blast to drive!!!

I build Cobalt Superkart chassis, and I put the 450′s exactly in the same place as the 250′s, and they balance perfect.  Balance left to right is pretty important,  but that being said if it’s a lot easier to mount the motor offset to get the seat to work, then you can adjust around it.

A CRF250 would b a better match for a 125 chassis…

CR

marc walsh
    Participant

I may have to bail on this idea. Its simply too wide for my liking. I think the 250 is just as big. Anybody need 06 trx450 engine package :)….Man it would have been NAAAAAAAASTY!

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

How much are you asking for the TRX450? My winged outlaw needs a powerplant…

marc walsh
    Participant

Hey Ted, Have him give me a call :) 407-222-9515

Brian Degulis
    Participant

The CRF250 is slightly narrower and just a few pounds lighter. HPD makes a kit for the 250. They use an offset mount to clear the seat.

Marc it’s not as difficult as it looks at first. If you want to take a ride one day and look at mine your welcome.

Brian

marc walsh
    Participant

Give me a jingle Brian and I will swing by :)

James McMahon
    Participant

Is it too soon for a “thats what she said”?

Brian Degulis
    Participant

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

So, Marc, what’s the status of this project? Is the motor available or did you get it shoehorned in there? :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.