Home Forums General Karting Discussion How to store your kart for the winter

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tony zambos 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

After taking the engine off and cleanign the chassis down with wd40 is it ok to store the chassis in a shed or garage that is not temperature controlled? It does get cold here and was wondering how that effects the chassis? My other option is to bring it in the house but the wife doesn’t really like that option. 🙂

Thank you!

tony zambos
    Participant

Bob, my chassis have always spent the Chicago winter in an unheated garage. I pull the engine, put a couple drops of Marvel Mystery down the spark plug hole, throw the plug back in, wrap the engine in a plastic bag and hide in the basement. Although there were a couple of times the engine sat in the garage. Come next year, rebuild the carb. Word of advice, if you have a water cooled engine, drain ALL the water out of it. Drain the fuel tank. You might consider dis-mounting your tires. I’ve left them mounted up and found corrosion along the bead the next season.

LAD Specialties / tony kart / rotax / kt100

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Tony, Thanks. It’s a KT100 engine.  I would pretty much take engine, tires, hubs,mycron off and store them in the basement and just the frame would be in the garage.  Just worried if it would do anything to the frame exposed to the weather.

Clark Gaynor Sr.
    Participant

We live in Southeast Pa, so it gets pretty cold here too.  We drain the fuel; drain the water..refill with antifreeze…drain again; bleed the brakes with fresh fluid; Tri Flow the cylinder and bottom end bearings; remove the batteries from the gauge and kart (Tag); rebuild the carb; wipe everything with WD40, Triflow, and/or PB Blaster (? pipes, axles, etc).  Then in the trailer they go without heat.  New tires, electric starters, stop watches, distilled water, kart batteries, weather station, etc go in the heated basement.

We’ve been doing it that way since about 1990 with no ill effects to anything.

Clark Sr.

tony zambos
    Participant

We’ve had an OTK chassis for the last few years. Have noticed some reaction between the axle and its components. To prevent this, I pull the axle and coat it with WD40. As for the hubs, gear carrier and rotor, they get put into plastic freezer and left in the trailer.

Bob Spedding
    Participant

What about how to get kt100 ready for storage? What do I need to do? Bring it in th house but what else? And when should I get the engine rebuilt. It has about 7 races on it. Should I do it now or wait closer to spring?

thanks

tony zambos
    Participant

Talk to your engine builder for what’s best for him. My engines will normally go into the shop sometime in the winter and come out in the spring in time for our first race. Some engine builders are going to be busy between now and the end of December getting ready for Daytona. Other builders may have commitments for the early part of the year. Don’t wait until the last minute before your first race next year to bring your engine in for a rebuild.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication