Home Forums General Karting Discussion How to store used tires for the off season?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Walt Gifford 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bob Spedding
    Participant

With the season coming to an end I was wondering what the best way to store used tires. I know to wrap them in ceran wrap but is there anything I need to spray them with or what?

thank you

Ted Hamilton
    Participant

I’d spray / wipe a light coat of WD-40…and store >50*F.

www.hamiltonhelmets.com // SWISS HUTLESS Corse

William Martin
    Participant

The 5 gallon buckets for paint make pretty good storage containers for tires. Be sure to use the ones with the O-ring sealed lid. Keeping air & sunlight away from the rubber does a lot for longevity. One front & one rear tire per bucket…

Bill

Bob Spedding
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll spray them down lightly with wd40, wrap them in syran wrap and store them in my basement.  Does that sound like the best thing to do? I don’t really have enough buckets for storing them.

Walt Gifford
    Participant

You don’t need to do anything to store a tire but here’s what I do. Take the tires off the wheels, turn them around and put them back on the wheels, then put them back on the kart on the opposite sides. Get a heat gun and a scraper and clean the clag off then wash with trac tac blue tire wash after it’s dry wrap in cling wrap then shrink the wrap with the heat gun. next year take the plastic off and brush on one coat of trac tac SST a week before the track. Then the day of the race I throw the tires away and mount a new set.

Gif

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

John Mulvihill
    Participant

Double bag in dark green trash bags.  Suck air out of bags with a shop vac and keep in a cool place.

John

Simon Perez
    Participant

Which model do you use ?? I want advice

Walt Gifford
    Participant

Miranda Kerr is pretty good.

FAA certified jet engine and aircraft technician,
    Nicholson Speedway class champion 2001,
    Yamaha KT100 Service Center,
    41 years karting experience

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Karting's News and Information Leader ekartingnews | an HMG publication