Home Forums Chassis & Handling How to make 08 crg rr fast

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel White 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant

I have spent some time tweeking the chassie for better handling but I have a ? Should I just get a newer chassie. At my local club I am 2 seconds off the leaders. I know some of it is driver but is there a point were I could be faster in a better chassie

tony zambos
    Participant

Steve,
    You might be a little faster, but definitely poorer. Can you share with us what you’ve tweaked, how that changed your lap times and you current setup? Make sure the chassis is straight and not cracked. Are the brakes dragging, either by themselves or your foot on the brake? And how fresh are your tires and engine? How close are you to the weight of your competitors?

Steve
    Participant

My rotax could use a top end and I only run new tires on race day. It’s the little things a new chassie can give you. Better brakes, mine are the old style, better cam/cast settings, mine are the old style, flexed out tubing stuff like that

Daniel White
    Participant

I was in the same boat you are in a few years ago. From 2008-2010 I had a 2005 Sodikart (built for D1 tires but they had just switched to the D2) and was anywhere from .6 to a full second off the pace on a 23-second track. I was miserable. I bought the kart-engine with a fresh rebuild, top and bottom. Didn’t have a weather station so I either asked my competitors what jet / pin setting to use, or simply guessed. No one else ran that chassis. Always had used tires (I frankly don’t think that made a lick of difference to my lap times, as most of the time my competitors were on used tires as well). I did have the chassis on a scale so I was sure it was straight. I had my competitors drive my kart as well, but they weren’t any quicker.

In 2010 I bought a new Arrow AX-9 (another kart built for the D1 tire) and things improved, but only slightly. Got to within .3-.5 of the quick guys.

Finally, Rotax died at my track so I switched to Yamaha–and was immediately on the pace. So what was the deal with the Sodikart-Rotax? As with most things, it was probably a confluence of factors. I will list them in order of their significance:

1) I needed a driver coach at that stage of my karting. I perhaps still need one.
    2) The chassis had not been tested effectively. Sure, I practiced and tested occasionally, but had little idea of how to make progress. Now I have a Tonykart, and to this day I usually have settings close to factory, and change very little during the day (mainly tire pressures).
    3) I did not use any resources to tune the carburetor. Just cleaned it and guessed on jetting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.